Windy Last Night!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwburn

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
Connecticut
wow, it was really windy last night. we had both stoves going and at one point i got a good whiff of smoke which freaked me out. i easily narrowed it down to our intrepid which was dampered down pretty good and burning low but appeared ok. the smell went away and then i smelled it again a while later. this time it was driving me crazy so i went over and camped out in front of the stove staring at the fire.

took a while but all of a sudden i heard a huge gust of wind outside and then 'poof' the fire went pretty much dark for about 2 seconds. it then reignited with a flash and i saw a puff of smoke shoot out around the edges of the top load door. source of smell discovered. i opened the air a bit more to increase the fire and draft and didn't have much of a problem with it the rest of the night.

yeah, i'm a loser without chimney caps so i deserve it i suppose. my chimneys are just really dangerous to get to (steep roof lines) or i would install them myself. i had a chimney sweep offer to do them 11 years ago when we moved in for probably $100 a piece and i should have taken him up on it. my chimneys are 25 and 30 feet each so generally the wind is not a problem but it would be a value to keep the rain out as well. i have to sweep them from below which is also a hassle. the flex in 30 feet of fiberglass rods takes all the strength i have to move the brush.

you really should get a cap. but at twice my height, i dont blame you for not doing it yourself. my single story chimney is chest height in the middle of my roof, the only reason i was able to do it.
no way i'm getting up 25-30ft.
you dont need an expert, just a handy someone whos not a total height-wuss like you and me.

Status
Not open for further replies.