Winslow PI40 Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MountainGal27

Oct 15, 2019
NJ
Hello everyone. Our pellet stove has been acting up since last fall after we had the stove serviced and cleaned. When we start the stove (typically level 3) the stove starts, pellets ignite, but about 10-15 minutes in an error shows. To further complicate matters, it usually switches between two different error codes: ignition failure and proof of fire snap switch shuts insert down codes. Any ideas what could cause this? We have previously replaced the proof of fire snap switch and have reset it multiple times since this problem started.

I have had the same stove for 10 years, can only think problem with POF snap switch or wires running to it. I had the same problem once but new POF solved it and no problems since...Did you check wires going to snap switch? Could they have gotten pulled on during cleaning?

Reactions: MountainGal27
On another thought when they clean the stove and remove the exhaust blower you should clean the exposed side of the POF switch. I wipe it clean whenever i am doing a tuneup it gets covered in flyash and can insulate the switch from reaching temp.

I always see a handful of those POFs go bad at the beginning of winter. As long as the wires aren’t loose, I’d say that’s the ticket. I’d buy two so you have a spare.

Thanks everyone! We did take off the switch last year to clean it again just in case but no dice. I just bought another switch so fingers crossed that's the problem! And thanks to Robert65 for the video; it's awesome!

Reactions: robert65
Got the part today in the mail. My husband just switched out the part, and it's working!!! Thank you so much for your suggestions and for following up! It is greatly appreciated! :)

Reactions: robert65
So now I have another new problem. The stove functions for about and hour or so and then just shuts itself off. No error codes. Nothing. Just turns off. The stove is linked with a thermostat which was not "set" when the problem occurred. I turned the stove thermostat on and put it up to a high heat and the stove stays on with no problems. What can be the issue now?

So what was the thermostat set to and what was the temperature in the house whenever it turned off. Also what kind of thermostat is it. Is it a digital or a mechanical? If it’s digital have you checked the batteries? Could the thermostat wire be pinched? How long are your pellets? Long pallets can hang up in the auger and make the stove shut down.

The first few times it happened the thermostat was not connected to the stove, so I'm not sure what it was set to because it should not have mattered. Once I set the thermostat to be connected to the stove, the stove works until the temperature is reached. But most times I turn the thermostat up very high so the stove just stays on constantly. Batteries have been recently changed in thermostat and the pellets are the correct size for the stove.