Winter electricity bills...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not a great question, the ole sum of the parts answer. after asking I refreshed this old brain. you still have a tremendous rate for your power, would love to trade.

I've got a 8.4 cent Wind power generation contract Jan13 to Jan15, current contracts are up around 9-10. Delivery varies, but is currently down to 4 cents. Total = 12.4 cents + $7/mo flat service charge. No complaints.

Of course, in MA part of your bill is paying for the MassSave program...in PA I had to pay for the whole of my retrofit work, and just got a 0% 10 year 'energy loan' to pay for it.

I've got a 8.4 cent Wind power generation contract Jan13 to Jan15, current contracts are up around 9-10. Delivery varies, but is currently down to 4 cents. Total = 12.4 cents + $7/mo flat service charge. No complaints.

Of course, in MA part of your bill is paying for the MassSave program...in PA I had to pay for the whole of my retrofit work, and just got a 0% 10 year 'energy loan' to pay for it.
mass save cost me $400.00 this year. jeez could have gone out to the diner once in awhile? thanks for the translation!!!!!!!

Great racket, build something to generate power charge the locals for it, ship the generated power somewhere else for a profit, and puff out chest about created jobs.

My bill for a very cold February came in at 2667 kWhr, with 100% electric heat using my HP and electric backup. My baseload is ~600kWh/mo, so I used ~2000 kWhr for heat, costing me $250. About 2/3rds goes to a wind farm in western PA, and the other 1/3 goes to my local utility for delivery.

Heating 2250 sq ft at an average outdoor temp of 30°F for the month, I think $250 is aok. Its prob close to what CSD would cost me with a EPA stove. In 2005, I would have needed ~250 gallons of #2 fuel oil, $1000 at current rates, and 3 tons of CO2 emission.

The bill says I used nearly the same amount as Feb 2013, despite that month being 6°F warmer. This is consistent with my energy retrofit last summer reducing my usage by at least 20%. I figure it more like a 25% reduction, and I still called more aux due to the cold weather.

Do you know how much wood you used during that time?

Around here every-time I manage to do something to knock my energy usage down a couple percent the utility raises the prices, or adds some new type of fee as a % of usage, vicious circle since the late 70's.

Do you know how much wood you used during that time?

I'm a recreational burner only, but when we were without grid power for three days, I prob burned 1/10th cord in my inefficient pre-EPA stove. Otherwise I suppose my elec heat bill would have been 10% higher.

Whenever the Wife and I would house hunt, we wouldn't even step out of the car once we saw "Electric" listed as a heat source.....

I try to keep the electric usage down to 100kwh/mo

That used to translate to $20 / mo orquite often less but with rates up to $0.21/kwh that doesn't happen any more.
No NG here, just electric and HHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.