Wintering a Tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nate379

I have a couple trees that I planted this summer and not too sure what I need to do to winterize them?

I had planted an Autumn Blaze Maple last year and it was growing beautiful. I didn't do anything for the winter and by spring time it was so try the main truck (only about 1" thick) snapped in my hands.

We get 60-70mph winds in the winter and that is the big concern. I think the wind just dried the tree right out.

Should I make some kind of frame and wrap it in burlap to help the wind? I have them staked already, so blowing over won't be a problem.

The 2 trees of concern is an expensive Debrohah maple which is about 8ft tall and a $20 birch which is about 6ft tall. The birch "may" be ok as they are native to here, but I'd rather spend a bit of time and prep it instead of having to replant it.

Look for something that will filter the wind, anything that just stops it may well be damaged in an expreme gust.
Think about plenty of mulch round the base to keep the root system away from extreme drying cold too.
If you think of wrapping a tree or plant for any frost protection (knowing your might get a frost or two where you are), I'd suggest horticultural fleece for wrapping.
I've seen examples here of people with tropical looking gardens wrapping palm trees and banana plants to overwinter them, and all they had in the Spring was a whole load of tropical mush.

Anyone near you in Alaska who has any maples in their garden, you could check what they do.... :)

You already recognize that native trees may do well. Besides the effort every winter to protect a non-native species from the harsh climate, you also run the risk of introducing an invasive species that may not do well for the environment. In northern MN we now have a number of invasive tree and shrub species, introduced by nurseries and well-meaning people, and these continue to disrupt and alter our natural ecosystems.

Water and fertilize them at 1/2 rate then a heavy mulch, wrap the trunk with tree wrap if you want but be sure and take it off late winter!

Mulch the base, fertilize it in the fall (so it has time to dissolve and absorb some of it, the rest will help fertilize it in the spring) and put some snowfence up on the windward side.

... I'll add- do NOT pile the mulch against the bark in a stupid mulch volcano that is so damn popular the past 5-10 yrs. Worst idea ever. It will promote rot/disease in the bark and lead to a slow death. Keep it a couple inches away from the bark.

I promise you that a maple tree would hardly be considered an "invasive" species. That would be cottonwood!... and not to mention 1 maple tree on ~1 acre or land isnt' going to disrupt anything. They are planted all over the place.

jebatty said:
You already recognize that native trees may do well. Besides the effort every winter to protect a non-native species from the harsh climate, you also run the risk of introducing an invasive species that may not do well for the environment. In northern MN we now have a number of invasive tree and shrub species, introduced by nurseries and well-meaning people, and these continue to disrupt and alter our natural ecosystems.

Status
Not open for further replies.