Wintertime Minisplit use article

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
For Maine climates, look for Fujitsu RLS models or Mitsubishi HyperHeat - these are good down to -18 degrees F (or so) and still generate rated output at these temperatures. My Fujitsu RLS pushed lots of warm heat out at below zero temperatures - it's not the cold register heat you might know/remember from an old-style ducted heat pump.

If you are running electric resistance heat right now, these types of units will cut your heating bill to a third of what it was, maybe a fourth.

Thanks for the heads up! We are supplementing with the resistance heat currently as our firewood situation is less than ideal. The grand plan is to have the minisplits for backup heat and the resistance heaters for emergencies or to help the mini splits if we can't burn for some reason.

Good advice,but, My fujitsus are one rls2 and the other the more recent rls3

It's 15f today and last night , and they struggle to keep the house in the 60s

That said they are great backup for the wood stove, the house won't freeze with these sentinels on guard

they struggle to keep the house in the 60s
They will produce less heat when it is really cold, but they still produce heat. I did find some technical manuals on-line when I purchased my Fujitsu RLS2 some years ago, and I recall that the rated output (15k BTUs for mine) was at 5 degrees F and still 10k BTUs at -17 F, or something like that. And the air that blows from them is warm.

But to your point, you have to match the units to the heating load of the house at the temperature you want to use them at.