Wire wheel to clean pot.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BSGuy

Dec 9, 2023
Nova Scotia
I have a Quadra fire 1200, just curious if a wire wheel will work for cleaning the pot of the harder deposits. It's not carbon but a light coloured crusty substance.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Not sure about the burn pot on the 1200 but on my Quad MVAE a wire brush would only minimally work. That is, a wheel would work on the sides but not the bottom. On the MVAE most of the crusty stuff is on the bottom of the pot. I use a screw driver as a scraper along with a small mirror and flashlight to see the bottom of the pot.

I use a wire wheel attached to my drill to clean the burn pot for my USSC 6500. It works best, although is messier, if I soak it in water first. Not sure of the size or shape or your burn pot, but I think that would be a big factor.

Thanks guys I bought a little brass one which gets the loose stuff off. I'm not sure if I can even fit my drill into the pot, but thought I'd ask first. All my crusty stuff is on the sides. The bottom really seems to burn hot enough to keep it clean.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Thanks guys I bought a little brass one which gets the loose stuff off. I'm not sure if I can even fit my drill into the pot, but thought I'd ask first. All my crusty stuff is on the sides. The bottom really seems to burn hot enough to keep it clean.
Sand blaster probably would work well on the small burn pot. If you don’t have one, it could be a good excuse to get one.