Wireless thermostat anyone???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmoss51

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Michigan
So this is for my gas furnace/AC system but I thought the knowledgeable folks here can probably help.

I want to move the thermostat to a different location in my home. I could run new wires back to the furnace, but I can't beleive in this day and age there is not a completly wireless thermostat. Something like a base receiver in the basement close to the furnace and then a baterry powered console that can be located anywhere in range.

Does anyone know of anything like this??

There seem to be a number of wireless thermostats on the market but they all seem to refer to controlling your thermostat from a phone or internet device vs actually wireless communication with the furnace.

Thanks!

I thought the high-end Honeywells had a nice touchscreen thermostat that you wire to the furnace, with a small battery operated remote unit that does the temp sensing.... The function you want, if not the ideal config.

If I were you I would figure out how to snake the low-voltage wire. Get creative.

I run my pellet stove with a Skytech 3301P wireless stat. Not sure if it would work on a regular furnace.

Reactions: mepellet
Google "portable thermostat" instead of wireless. Too pricey for me, $400 buys a lot of wire. Most seem to keep the base unit at the previous wall mount location (prevents the need to repair the wall?).

TE

Thanks for the suggestions.

I agree that running wire will probably end up being cheaper. I just thought If I could find something that could be working in 5 minutes that would be awesome. Especially because I am not looking to relocated it that far. Keeping my wife happy is the goal and she would like to locate a large hutch in front of where the thermostat is now.

Reactions: flyingcow
i just did a job where the t stat wire got shorted and the heat in that zone went wild. (mice) the people woke to a 83 degree bedroom. running wires in this guys house was next to impossible. the whole basement was finished. i would have had to break holes in the plaster to run a replacement wire. i looked up the cost of a portable thermostat not a wireless. the companies that call a t stat wireless is usually wired in via low voltage wiring like any other t stat but what makes them call it wireless is that they are accessible to adjust via a wireless router just like a laptop does. i could get this portable t stat and install the receiver and transmitter for $325 or run a pvc pipe up from the basement to the attic outside the house to the original t stat in the bedroom for $200. what i did was permanent and if bothered again by mice it could be rewired in about a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. who know how long the portable would last with the way things are made today.

so sounds like i'm going to fish some wire :p

When we had the heating system in our home replaced, we wanted to move the stat to a better place (and the HVAC guy didn't want to use the mercury bulb one that was there). The place it needed to go was in a bad place to try and fish wires. He said if the wire couldn't be run without damaging my home, he would put in a wireless for more.

We got the wire were it needed to be and wireless wasn't needed. However, I know it is out there.

Found this on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-YTH6320R1001-Wireless-Thermostat-Programmable/dp/B001O4F8Y4

Not sure if this is what he was talking about doing, but I'll bet it's close.

Status
Not open for further replies.