Wireless thermostat for Empree FS ... any advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srjtr7

Jan 16, 2008
Near Boston
Hi,

I have an Empress FS stove and would like to get a wireless thermostat for it.

My main concern is that the reciever be able to be hidden behind the control panel access panel.

Anyone setup like this?

Also, when I do hook it up....what would be the best setting to run it on.

Thanks.

I have an Empress FS and my dealer who has 2 in his home, said that he doesn't bother with a thermostat because he doesn't like the idea of the stove constantly turning on and off. I guess this could cause more problems then just regulating the setting.

As a result I opted not to have a thermostat and have had no problems. Eventually you get to know your stove and heating well enough to keep it on or near the right setting, depending on the outside temperature.

Just my opinion, though I would like to know anyone else who has an Empress FS with a thermostat and how it works for you!

**** bump ****

I would like to put a remote tstat on my stove anyone have any suggestions?

We have a Harman Accentra pellet stove with built in temperature control. We also have a FS Enviro direct vent gas stove. Our gas stove has a wireless remote/thermostat. It really works great, with the option of putting it in a different room than the stove. I would guess the range to be 50ft or so.

We have the receiver sitting on the hearth pad behind the stove. I am not sure if it would work if contained by a metal of a control board housing. Ours is out of view unless you were to walk up and look behind the stove.

BTW, I bought the wireless remote on-line 4 years ago for about 80 dollars (can't remember where). If I remember, the stove shop wanted close to 200 dollars for a wireless remote.

I have a thermostat on my empress F/S (not wireless).

The comment about turning on/off seems weird. You can set the control board for hi/lo mode so it just goes into low mode when the temp is reached in the room. I can't see how that would have any material affect on the life of the stove.

Another Empress F/S owner here. Can't comment about the wireless stat but i do have a wired stat hooked up. The first 3 months i had the stove i was running it in on/off mode, but the lag time between the stat calling for heat and the stove getting up to temp was a little much. After i started lucking around here there were concerns about the igniter burning out early. Not to mention a slightly larger build up of clinkers in the burn pot.

All that being said i now have the stat hooked up to high/low mode. When the stat calls for heat the stove cranks up to what ever setting the stove is set to (mine is always on high) and idles when the stat doesn't call for heat. I also think this leads for more consistent temps in the house. Not to mention on low setting the stove will run for roughly 30 hours (best guess, but definately more that 1 day)

As far as the receiver being behind the access panel, like others have said, i would be worried about the metal acting like a faraday cage and reducing range. With the wireless stat located within reasonable distance i don't think it would be an issue. Worst case scenario use some double sided sticky tape and mount it right behind the stove in the open.

Countk, i love the stat hooked up to the stove, more of a set it and forget it mentality, works more like a traditional heating unit this way. On a sunny day i will hit the off button and the sun will warm up the house nicely during the day and when i get home just before sunset turn that sucker back on. Lately with the clouds and storms though she has been running 24/7 only being shut off for cleaning every 3-4 days

Thanks for the input.

I will be setting it in Hi/Low mode....I think everyone is correct on lag and wear and tear.

Besides, once I get up to temp Lo keeps me warm.

When I do find a wireless tstat, it will only be 10-15 feet away so putting it inside or behind should not matter.

I still am having a hard time finding a wireless tstat though.

Siege 101 and srjtr7 thanks for the suggestion of the hi/low mode and the wireless thermostat. I think I will try that as well! As I think back, I believe my dealer did mention burning out the ignitor, as one of a few reasons he didn't like the idea.

Any suggestions on where to get the wireless thermostat, brand, etc. Thanks!

Have a Skytech 3301P wireless stat on my pellet stove.
Programmable and works awesome. It was pricey but I'm very pleased
with the cost to performance ratio. I tucked the receiver
behind the stove on the hearth. Can't see it unless you crawl back there.

Here's a link

Status
Not open for further replies.