Wish list for new insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spudman99

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2018
Yardley, PA
I am picking up a BK Princess insert on Thursday for a planned DIY install over the next 2-3 weeks. Attached are pre-install photos

20190213_090716.jpg20191015_074655.jpg

Before I embark, I have a couple of questions.

1. I thought about installing a key damper. This would be a 6" damper in a rigid section of pipe that is attached either to the appliance adapter or slightly above and have an extension rod that is then run to the front of the fireplace. I have seen a thread here where that was done, and I know I can fabricate the needed parts. My question is: is a damper needed on this BK given I will have about 25-27' of insulated 6" liner on an exterior chimney?

2. Ties into #1 above, but can stand alone. Is it advisable to install a manometer now while in the build phase. Obviously easier to make the connections and run the tubing with the insert not yet installed. Is it preferable to monitor draft (especially in a BK) or is it overkill?

3. Along the same lines, is it preferable to add a flue temperature probe (ie Auber) to the lower flue/upper flue to monitor? Clearly this is a lot easier to do when installing the liner before it is buttoned up.

Here is what I purchased

BK Princess PI29 (2020 EPA version)
Black Door
Small Shroud
Olympia 30 316Ti liner
Insulating kit
Appliance connector and 8x13 SS Cap