Without Outside Air Intake Am Making A Mistake???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TacMed Samaritan

Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I have a Travis Industries insert and it draws combustion air from outside as well as convection air.

Works great. I can tell that the house is pressurized slightly and there is no cold air seeping thru doors and windows.

However if I put a wood stove at the other end of the house, with no outside air intake, I am sucking air out of the house and using it for combustion and sending it up the chimney.

Seems like I would be directly working AGAINST the Travis inserts benefit of creating pressure.

How many of you feel that it is critical to give your stove outside air intake in order to be efficient with your overall program?

In my case it's not critical, but if I were to get a second stove it would definitely have an outdoor air kit.

I can’t imagine any (normal) scenario where an outside air kit would be a disadvantage, I guess the question really comes down to how much of an advantage it really is. If my stoves were installed in a place where it were practical to run an OAK, you’d better believe I’d do it. I have no issue providing make-up air with this large and leaky old house, but I’m pulling more cold outside air in to do it, than I would have otherwise. My indoor humidity is also very low, as a result, usually in the mid-teens %.

Reactions: Highbeam