Wood boiler power module

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EnergyFreedom

Jan 26, 2024
West Michigan
We are thinking of selling a new type of technology, a wood boiler power module, that would allow you to generate power on demand from the hydronic heat of your wood boiler.

It would power your home, allowing you to be completely off-grid.

The power module would be 48"W by 48"W by 20"Tall and would have a standard output of 120/240VAC.

We would love to have your feedback from the poll, and any other features you would want the power module to have.

Thanks,

SP

Reactions: BJP
Sorry, I thought I had a poll with this post, but it didn't work for some reason.

What would you expect the price point to be for an on demand power module that could power your entire house, like the one described?

Could you simply reply with you responses and thoughts?

a) $45K-50K
b)$40K-44K
c)$35K-39K
d)$30K-34K
e)$25K-29K
f)$20K-25K

Thank you,

SP

Thank you for your post pmsfarmer. We have sized this to be appliance size so you can easily install it in the corner of a garage, barn, utility room, etc. The hydronic heat would come from your wood boiler via a standard PEX connection.

Awesome amount of wood supply. What a great resource.

So this is hot water in, electric out type of deal?

Yes. It would produce on the order of 600 to 1000W of power which feeds into a small battery bank, and would include a 6KW peak output power inverter with 120/240VAC output. The battery bank and inverter would supply the peak demands, and power module would keep the batteries charged whenever it has the hydronic heat going to it.

It would produce on the order of 600 to 1000W of power
For how many BTU input?
Do you have working models already...or inventory for sale currently?

We have a larger footprint version that is connected to a wood boiler, and the development is under way for this smaller appliance sized power module. The technology has a wide variety of applications/markets. If we get satisfactory feedback that this is something the wood boiler community would want, we could have it ready as soon as this fall for shipment. If you have a decent efficiency wood boiler, it works out to burning about 10lbs of wood per hour.

Sound interesting
Just a question what kind of wood are you quoiting at 10 lbs per hour?

One cubix cord of dry Oak weighs around 4000 LBS
so that's 400 hrs or 33.3 days. To date this winter I have burnt 1.4
Cubix cords of Oak. At 10 lbs per hour, it will be expensive to make my own power
Sounds good but out of my league even just cutting off my 200-acre bush lot would
be a lot of time and effort and that adds up to $

Reactions: sloeffle
Cubix cords of Oak. At 10 lbs per hour, it will be expensive to make my own power
Sounds good but, out of my league even just cutting off my 200-acre bush lot
I should have been more clear, that rate is when you are only at max power. The module would cycle itself on and off as the load demands it.

That makes more sense.

Sounds good but out of my league even just cutting off my 200-acre bush lot would
be a lot of time and effort and that adds up to $
For people that are not on a grid power is expensive to produce.
I grew up on a remote highway in the Yukon Territory, my family had a highway lodge.
In order to have the connivance of power 24/7 that was required to operate the highway lodge there were 3 power plants. They were of varying sizes so the one appropriate for the load could be used.My Dad had to maintain them, plus maintain the electrical system as there was nobody to call.
Fast forward to today there is still a lodge on the highway, but it is a destination resort only open in the summer for basically fly in rich people.
They still have to generate their own power. I supply bulk fuel as one of my services. I just went and filled their fuel tank at the beginning of January. They closed for business around the end of September.
Their fill was a little over 1900 US gallons of fuel which came to about $14600.00 Canadian dollars.
Now for whatever reason they have not invested in any sort of battery bank, chargers, and inverters. So their case is a worst case scenario . In the off season all they power is one home the lodge buildings get winterized and shut down.
Myself i would be very interested in exploring the option of having one for a few reasons.
I am on the grid, i have a gasification boiler that i have been using for about 13 years. I plan on getting into the firewood business and logging my own wood. We only have Spruce wood up here.
I will have access to a supply of wood that will be fairly cheap, and there is legislation in place that the power utility has to buy your excess power generated by renewables.
I am also setting up a new shop complex as my current location is for sale, as i plan on getting out of fuel delivery after 27 years.
Having experience with a gasifcation boiler that was one of the options i was looking at for heat, up-sizing to one that could produce power would definitely be a consideration. I have numerous pressure tanks i have accumulated for storage and could see a power modal as an excellent addition to the shop complex.

Thank you salecker for your feedback. For reference here is an illustration of the overall layout:

Power Module Layout.PNG

Thank you salecker for your feedback. For reference here is an illustration of the overall layout:

View attachment 323958
If a boiler system had storage tanks as part of it's sytem could they replace the heat sink mini cooling tower? What is it's main purpose? Thanks

The technology is a new type of patented heat engine, and requires the one side to remain cooler than the other. The difference in temperature between the two sides creates direct rotational torque, which then turns a generator. You certainly could use the storage tanks as energy storage for the power module.

Do you have web site that gives more information about your proposed system ?

Absolutely. We have several granted patents, and have scaled the technology several times. This technology can produce direct rotary torque from temperatures less than body temperature.

To help illustrate, this shows what we have today. We are in process of developing the smaller even more powerful one shown, and want to verify that there is a market for the wood boiler community.

1706552277254.png

Do you have web site that gives more information about your proposed system ?
Please note that the web site shows the larger unit we currently have developed. It doesn't have specific information about the smaller power module yet. The intent of the web site is to show a broad overview of the technology in general.

Here you go: https://www.synergypowerllc.com/technology

You will see in our mission statement that we desire to provide energy independence with this technology.

Thank you everyone for your helpful feedback. We have a strong desire to offer this technology to the wood boiler community.

Last edited:
I think a TMG for around $20k would be a seller, once past that mark, It is still cheaper in the long run to buy a fossil fuel backup generator. 6000 watts would be nice but a less expensive unit @ around 3000 watts would satisfy most offgrid or as backup power during grid outages.