wood burner insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dvscott

Aug 6, 2017
pittsburgh, pa
hey everyone....we just had a quadra fire 4100 installed. the unit sticks out a little bit ( not a flush mount)...we liked this option for radiant heat. my question is...do you have to have the blower on once an established fire is going to keep the fire box cooler? ee769005d4d2ea96a16424444cd6d236.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It does not look like you have the required clearance in front of stove to combustible floor unless the distance us deceiving in pic.

Negative on having to run the blower for safety reasons.. beautiful stove, I hope you had a liner installed and a block off plate installed to keep the heat from rising up the chimney or get eaten up by the masonry. Also hard to tell from the picture but you may want to measure and make sure you have an adequate hearth extension, 16" from the front glass is needed.
That stove will do you good, its designed as a convective heater, so you will want to use the blower, on low to let the heat just ooz out of the front. Do some small break in fires to insure that the stove operates as designed, also to cure the paint and inside fire bricks. That fire box should yield a decent 6-8 hr burn time which is respectable, use dry seasoned wood..wood that has less than 20% moisture content.

i am askin for a couple reasons....

if we are in the room where the wood burner is, if it gets to hot in there maybe it would be comfortable with blower off

if the power goes out, can i still have a good fire in the wood burner?

In my experience with my jotul insert, the top of stove gets too hot without the blower off, so I would say keep it on continuously with a good load of wood in stove. Smaller loads you would probably be ok with out blower. Just my 2 cents based on my one insert. Not all insert have the room in slot where warm air comes out to put a stove top thermometer.

Last edited:
Yes, in event of power failure, it is fine to operate the stove. That is a big plus of wood burning.

i am askin for a couple reasons....

if we are in the room where the wood burner is, if it gets to hot in there maybe it would be comfortable with blower off

if the power goes out, can i still have a good fire in the wood burner?

Ahh thats were you need a good stove thermometer and learn you air adjustments to keep temps with in the range of normal burn, but remain clean coming out of the stack...This is something that a seasoned burner tries to master all the time.. this is why this site is so addicting, welcome to the club.. live it, breath it, eat it.

It seems unlikely that they would sell you a product that could be unsafe, or damaged, if the power goes out. If that was the case there would probably be warnings all over the owners manual.