Wood burning firebox drop-in replacement for pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thedjm

Dec 22, 2021
Northern California (95033)
I've got this Thelin Providence insert currently in the wall (no fireplace) right now.

PXL_20230405_182418680.jpg

It's in a corner. Some quick dimensions (more detailed in linked pdf manual):
  • Insert width 41”
  • Insert Height 32.5”
  • Tiling width 49”
  • Tiling height 41”
  • Cutout width 36”
  • Cutout height 29”
  • Depth 36” to framing (at deepest on left side)
  • Depth 16" to framing (at shallowest on right side)

I'm looking to replace this with a wood-burning firebox (not a stove) that will fit in this space.
Trying to do this without ripping the entire wall out and starting over.
Are there any products out there that I can drop-in with zero or minimal rebuild?
I'm hoping the worst case is that I need to upgrade the pipe which goes up through a framed "chimney" above the roof now.

I've got this Thelin Providence insert currently in the wall (no fireplace) right now.

View attachment 311769

It's in a corner. Some quick dimensions (more detailed in linked pdf manual):
  • Insert width 41”
  • Insert Height 32.5”
  • Tiling width 49”
  • Tiling height 41”
  • Cutout width 36”
  • Cutout height 29”
  • Depth 36” to framing (at deepest on left side)
  • Depth 16" to framing (at shallowest on right side)

I'm looking to replace this with a wood-burning firebox (not a stove) that will fit in this space.
Trying to do this without ripping the entire wall out and starting over.
Are there any products out there that I can drop-in with zero or minimal rebuild?
I'm hoping the worst case is that I need to upgrade the pipe which goes up through a framed "chimney" above the roof now.
No there is not. The closest thing would be a zero clearance fireplace but it will require a full enclosure built.

Thanks for the reply. So I guess it's a full rip out to studs floor to ceiling to install.

Looking around for a firebox that might fit in that tight space, I came across this Majestic Royalton 36 which looks promising. I haven't pulled the pellet stove out yet to see exactly what I'm working with, but the wall space I'm working with across is 63" (at the drywall) and this Royalton claims a 67 7/8" width needed for the corner (on page 6). Maybe the framing is a bit wider underneath and/or maybe I have some play with only a few inches difference.

Are there any other fireboxes out there with slightly smaller dimensions and/or more tapered/rounded backs?

Unless this is strictly for ambiance, it would be better to look at some good EPA ZC fireplaces that actually heat. Check out EPA ZCs made by RSF, FPX, PE, and Osburn.

Last edited:
Unless this is strictly for ambiance, it would be better to look at some good EPA ZC fireplaces that actually heat. Check out EPA ZCs made by RSF, FPX, PE, and Osburn.
Yes, thanks for raising that point. This is primarily for ambiance, so the preference is for an open firebox. If, however, there are smaller EPA ZCs out there at a similar price point that will work better with the space constraint, I'm willing to go that route. I haven't found anything smaller than the Royalton 36 yet.

36" wide is a fairly common size. The Astria Montecito and RSF Focus or Pearl 3600 are that width. Is there gas in the house? There are some nice gas fireplaces that have a nice fire and are easier to install. If so, take a look at the offerings by Valor.

36" wide is a fairly common size. The Astria Montecito and RSF Focus or Pearl 3600 are that width. Is there gas in the house? There are some nice gas fireplaces that have a nice fire and are easier to install. If so, take a look at the offerings by Valor.

Definitely want to burn wood. My big space constraint is the corner spot and these are the corner width requirements for each:

Majestic 67 7/8
Montecito is 79 1/4
Focus 78 1/2
Pearl 87 1/2

Looking for something smaller than the Majestic but I think that might be it.

I have to ask because that is a handsome stove and installation, why the change?

I have to ask because that is a handsome stove and installation, why the change?
The previous owners installed this pellet stove. I always preferred burning real wood myself and live amongst a lot of free fuel.
Recently the igniter failed on this unit and it's quite a PITA apparently to replace it. So having always wanted to replace it, this was the excuse.

As this was my first pellet stove, some observations:
  • Convenient, but still feeling like a facade vs. burning real wood IMO
  • Super LOUD. Even with the fan on the lowest setting it's like having a hair dryer running so ambiance is ZERO
  • Needs electricity to run during a power outage
  • No sound or smell of wood burning. That's half the experience IMO
Needless to say, gas would be going in the opposite direction for me.

Additional reasons for wood burning is I appreciate the process, cutting/splitting wood and building fires.
Heating is not a priority with ambiance being 90% the reason for it. Any heat benefit I get is a bonus.

ZC EPA fireplaces need the fan running to get heat out into the room. So you need some electricity during an outage and there'll be some noise.

With a modern EPA stove you should not smell smoke in the house unless you open the door at the wrong time.

ZC EPA fireplaces need the fan running to get heat out into the room. So you need some electricity during an outage and there'll be some noise.

With a modern EPA stove you should not smell smoke in the house unless you open the door at the wrong time.

Oh, in that case I definitely just want a good old fashioned fireplace for the ambiance. No need for electricity and I'll get what heat out of it I can. Anything with a blower is a non-starter.

Oh, in that case I definitely just want a good old fashioned fireplace for the ambiance. No need for electricity and I'll get what heat out of it I can. Anything with a blower is a non-starter.

A good old fashioned fireplace normally takes more heat out of the house than it puts in.

You don't need electricity for a high efficiency fireplace. It won't put out nearly as much heat without the blower but it will still work just fine. And it will put out way more heat even without a blower than a traditional fireplace

Running my ZC with the blower off makes me nervous even though SBI told me it's ok.

The fireplace we had before the ZC would make the house colder when there was a fire in it. It was so bad that we stopped using it.

If I could find a ZC with a very quiet (30 db?) fan that could be an option. The biggest constraint however is what will fit within the existing cut out. I could possibly make some small framing adjustments, but I don't want to have to expand. Right now the Majestic with the tapered back looks like the only option.

If I could find a ZC with a very quiet (30 db?) fan that could be an option. The biggest constraint however is what will fit within the existing cut out. I could possibly make some small framing adjustments, but I don't want to have to expand. Right now the Majestic with the tapered back looks like the only option.
The framing will indeed be the gating factor. This could be eliminated by replacing the unit with a freestanding stove. That would also eliminate the need for a blower.

Reactions: ericm979