Wood burning fireplace drafts too strong

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikefrig

Feb 17, 2018
NYC
Hi, first time poster. 10 years ago we added a wood burning fireplace to our family room. It is on an outside wall. The rooms outside wall extends only 8’ from the second floor roofline so the chimney is tall and extends above the adjacent roof.

The house is a relatively new construction (20 years now) so it is fairly tight. When we first had the fireplace built it would draft so strong it would pull the exhaust fumes from the oil burning furnace in the basement which is in an enclosed room on the opposite side of the house. We double insulted the walls and ceiling to prevent air from being pulled through, added a steel door and put a fan on the furnace exhaust pipe to help ensure the furnace exhaust wasn’t sucked back in. This has helped for the most part but when we burn a fire after an hour you can smell the fuel oil upstairs. In addition it pulls cold air from the bathroom exhaust fans on the second floor of the house which vent outside. So much so you can really feel the air coming down as if a window was open. This cools the house incredibly and defeats the purpose of having a toasty fire. I’m at a loss as to which way to turn. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 5C8D6EF9-CC09-4A48-A234-B4DFC8CA74CC.jpeg
    5C8D6EF9-CC09-4A48-A234-B4DFC8CA74CC.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
One on each side of the firebox. I loosened the mortar on one of them and remove the cover completely when I have a fire, should I do the same on the other side?

Attachments

• DDC1CECD-4FD5-4249-BD32-1AA333FE23D4.jpeg
    DDC1CECD-4FD5-4249-BD32-1AA333FE23D4.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 172
No, one opened and one removed is not enough. If I open the windows in the room it helps but that is not a reasonable solution. Would more inlets make sense?

Other than an OAK which you already have, maybe an insert with a liner hooked to its own oak, it will put more heat out, alleviate the ultra positive pressure issue you are experiencing.

I've thought about an insert but we're less interested in generating maximum heat and want the fireplace more for the ambiance ... Probably stupid

I've thought about an insert but we're less interested in generating maximum heat and want the fireplace more for the ambiance ... Probably stupid
Not stupid at all, can I ask a dumb question though, the inside portion of the oak is opened, is there anything that is blocking or inhibiting the airflow going through the oak on the outside, like a clogged cover or a thick bush?

it is unobstructed, just not sufficient. I loosened the metal cover (see photo above) on one side and remove it when we make a fire. Was thinking I should do the same on the other side. Thoughts on that? I'm a complete novice with regards to all of this but my logic tells me the firebox needs more air to counter the positive pressure. Is that a correct assumption?

You want to make sure the air passageway is clear from any debris, like a mouse nest or seeds

If ''toasty warm" is the objective, you want to put an insert or even a freestanding stove in there. Why have a giant wind tunnel through your house, with or without an air inlet?