Wood burning fireplace insert -3 options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Unc231982

Mar 3, 2021
New Jersey
Hello all,

Please help, trying to find a wood burning fireplace insert in NJ... I’d prefer that it can heat my home and cut my heat bills out of existence.
I look to you for advise:
Details:
8ft ceiling
2 floors house plus 7ft attic chimney at highest point
Center of room fireplace on right side of a colonial
Approx. 2400sq ft home
Brick fireplace
Width front- 34 inches
Width back- 24 inches
Height front- 27 inches
Depth - 24 inches

CF0AEC18-5B10-4AFE-81B7-3D3BA34F5D19.jpeg

If the floorplan is open, then go large, 3 cu ft. If this room is closed off from other areas of the house with a doorway or two, then that may be overkill.

If the floorplan is open, then go large, 3 cu ft. If this room is closed off from other areas of the house with a doorway or two, then that may be overkill.
Thank you- Two openings- one 6ft no door, other 4ft no door with stairs to upstairs on other side of this 4ft opening

Sounds like getting the hot air to circulate well will be the main challenge if the goal is to heat the whole house.

Hello all,

Please help, trying to find a wood burning fireplace insert for my home in NJ... I’d prefer that it can heat my home and cut my heat bills.

Details:
8ft ceiling
2 floors house plus 7ft attic chimney at highest point
Approx. 2400sq ft colonial home
Brick fireplace
Width front- 34 inches
Width back- 24 inches
Height front- 27 inches
Depth - 24 inches

thanks in advance,
M

FB3E9F44-3CF8-4D0D-9066-3084DE0A4C1C.jpeg

A few more questions before more knowledgeable folks chime in.
-You may (likely) need an insulated liner in your chimney going from a fireplace to an insert. This will add cost.
-You will likely not be able to heat (all) your home with the space heater that is an insert. If you are willing to have "colder corners" and second floor, it'll help though. This should not deter from obtaining a good insert, though.
-Any insulation and sealing you can do will decrease the amount of heat you need from your insert.
-I'm not sure how seasoned your birch wood I see in the pic is. Modern inserts need dry wood, <20% moisture content. It is unlikely you can buy that. Get ahead and start stockpiling wood. Most needs 2 years split, stacked, covered to reach a good moisture content. (Oak might need more.)

Regardless of the heating needs, I have the impression that insert choices are mostly based on what fits... that may make life easier.

Look at large inserts like the Osburn 3500, Regency 2450, Pacific Energy Summit in non-catalytic models and the BK Princess, Buck 91, in catalytic.

A few more questions before more knowledgeable folks chime in.
-You may (likely) need an insulated liner in your chimney going from a fireplace to an insert. This will add cost.
-You will likely not be able to heat (all) your home with the space heater that is an insert. If you are willing to have "colder corners" and second floor, it'll help though. This should not deter from obtaining a good insert, though.
-Any insulation and sealing you can do will decrease the amount of heat you need from your insert.
-I'm not sure how seasoned your birch wood I see in the pic is. Modern inserts need dry wood, <20% moisture content. It is unlikely you can buy that. Get ahead and start stockpiling wood. Most needs 2 years split, stacked, covered to reach a good moisture content. (Oak might need more.)

Regardless of the heating needs, I have the impression that insert choices are mostly based on what fits... that may make life easier.
Thank you so much for the feedback...
-insulated liner makes sense
-I’m okay with whole house not being heated by insert unit and cold corners. But I expect to cut into my heating bills.
-The birch is decorative for now. I use Ash and Oak in the current fireplace.
-Any inserts that you can suggest?
local store was promoting Vermont castings Montpelier II and Quadra fire expedition II. I’m not sure if these are good or not

Look at large inserts like the Osburn 3500, Regency 2450, Pacific Energy Summit in non-catalytic models and the BK Princess, Buck 91, in catalytic.

local store was promoting Vermont castings Montpelier II and Quadra fire expedition II. Any thoughts on those 2? Those are the only 2 in person I’ve seen

Talk to more than one store (unless it is really highly recommended) and talk to them about the installation (assuming you are going to have them do it). One store I talked to said an insulated liner is not necessary even with an exterior chimney. He had good stove prices but I just didn't trust the installation.

tom

Talk to more than one store (unless it is really highly recommended) and talk to them about the installation (assuming you are going to have them do it). One store I talked to said an insulated liner is not necessary even with an exterior chimney. He had good stove prices but I just didn't trust the installation.

tom
Good advice! Yes they would install, I really don’t know and want to learn what to look for. Or ask. They all look nice but it’s a good chunk of money to put down. Thanks again Tom

local store was promoting Vermont castings Montpelier II and Quadra fire expedition II. Any thoughts on those 2? Those are the only 2 in person I’ve seen
Under the hood they are the identical stove, new for 2020 and single burn-rate inserts. So far owner reports are good. If the goal is primarily to heat the fireplace room then it could be a good choice.

it looks like you have a nice deep hearth where you could get an insert that sticks out a bit without adding extra floor protection. If that is the case i would stay away from flush inserts. Mine is flush, but my hearth is 16" from the face and i didnt want to make any mods. I dont get a lot of radiant heat, mostly all blowers. I mean the flush looks great, but any extra metal you can get outside the fireplace is a plus.
Im not saying it wont heat well, but thats what i would do.

it looks like you have a nice deep hearth where you could get an insert that sticks out a bit without adding extra floor protection. If that is the case i would stay away from flush inserts. Mine is flush, but my hearth is 16" from the face and i didnt want to make any mods. I dont get a lot of radiant heat, mostly all blowers. I mean the flush looks great, but any extra metal you can get outside the fireplace is a plus.
Im not saying it wont heat well, but thats what i would do.
Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated

Thank you! Is there any difference between cast iron in the regency HI2450 and the steel regency I2450... will it be a difference in heat or lifespan?
Thanks again,
M