Wood Burning Fireplace Insert Installation Requirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

detta

Jan 31, 2007
I want to purchase an insert for an existing fireplace and have attempted to figure out the installation requirements but am very confused after reading pages of manuals for several manufacturers. Do I need to breakopen the back of my fireplace to get outside air in for combustion? (My husband is very reluctant to do this since it is brick with stucco over it and would require a lot of cosmetic repair) Do I (actually my husband) need to drill a hole through the side of the fireplace to get electrical to the unit. We have 1.25 inches of solid granite then brick on the front part of the fireplace and have sheetrock, framing lumber, then brick on the side of the firepalce. Three sides of the fireplace are inside the house with only the back flush with the outside wall but the brick has been stuccoed, sheetrocked, or granited over.

You cant install electricity for the blower in the firebox, thats against code.
You dont have to provide outside air, as matter of fact, the vast majority of fireplace inserts dont have combustion air provided through a kit.

Usually, when you install inserts the only work that needs to be done is removing the current damper & handle which looked pretty easy, I didn't remove my damper but my installers did it in a couple minutes. The insert comes with a cord that's plugs into the front of it, and it can either be plugged to the left or right. I included a picture of my insert (it's dark I know) but you can see the cord that comes with it that hugs the hearth on the right side and plugs into an outlet.

The only time modifications need to be made is usually the exception. Even then, they aren't usually severe.

Attachments

• Insert.jpg
    Insert.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 248
We have 1.25 inches of solid granite then brick on the front part of the fireplace and have sheetrock, framing lumber, then brick on the side of the firepalce. Three sides of the fireplace are inside the house with only the back flush with the outside wall but the brick has been stuccoed, sheetrocked, or granited over.

Whatcha think about this setup?

Oooh, a quiz.

Where's the 2" minimum clearance to combustibles on the sides of the fireplace and the 4" minimum clearance on the back? Then the 2" clearance all around the chimney?

My insert was inserted into a masonry chimney and gathers inside air for combustion from the front of the stove within the heated room. Electrical fed to the front of the unit as well through a plug equipped cord.

High beam you are on the right track but the fire box needs 12" of solid masonry and using fire brick reduces that to 10" the 2" you are takling about is already after 8'" to 12"
of solid masonry exist then 2" to combustiables. !2" of solid masonry is requied below the header. I know this would not be a setup I would start a fire in.

detta said:
I want to purchase an insert for an existing fireplace and have attempted to figure out the installation requirements but am very confused after reading pages of manuals for several manufacturers. Do I need to breakopen the back of my fireplace to get outside air in for combustion? (My husband is very reluctant to do this since it is brick with stucco over it and would require a lot of cosmetic repair) Do I (actually my husband) need to drill a hole through the side of the fireplace to get electrical to the unit. We have 1.25 inches of solid granite then brick on the front part of the fireplace and have sheetrock, framing lumber, then brick on the side of the firepalce. Three sides of the fireplace are inside the house with only the back flush with the outside wall but the brick has been stuccoed, sheetrocked, or granited over.
I think some of you missed the point. The fireplace is completely to code and has all the appropriate distances between conbustibles and the house structure. It passed all building requirements just 2 years ago. I only put that information in so that you would realize the extent of what it would take to drill holes through the chimney inorder to get outside air or electrical into the box. If that was required but it sounds like it is not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.