Wood burning fireplace water leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nick LI 516

Dec 16, 2022
New York
Hello all,
I have a wood burning stove that i never use, the plan is to remove it at some point but i have a water leak coming from where the paper towel is stuffed in these pictures.

i found the at the sealant at the base of the pipe had pulled away and i resealed but it is still leaking..

what would cause it to leak from this area? from my research it is leaking where the stove pipe adaptor meets the pipe that goes through cathedral ceiling support.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Water is leaking through your roof and pool ing on your support box. If the chimney was flashed correctly it shouldn’t leak, even without that glop of sealant. Can you get up into the attic to look at it? Roof leaks can be fun to trace.

This might be a good time to remove that chimney. It was painted an odd color. I hope they used high temp paint. It’d be horrible to have it all cook off the first time the stove was lit.

This is installed in a room with a cathedral ceiling, no attic. The stove was used daily by the previous owner, I just haven’t used it in the 3 years I’ve been here

You should also look at the storm collar further up the chimney. Water can get by it and into the top of the flashing.

The storm collar is tge cone like piece that you can just see the bottom of in your outside photo.

If the chimney was flashed correctly it shouldn’t leak, even without that glop of sealant.
It appears to me that there isn't any flashing...but maybe its just the angle/close up of the pics...

I'd say the support box has overfilled and that's why it's now leaking where it is. That pipe should have a flashing and a storm collar, not just some goo. Interesting how they painted the stove pipe and the support box and trim. Can you get into the attic to see the pipe and box?

There is a flashing, i just didn't snap a picture of it. The painted piper and box are just decorative pieces that are over the chimney pipe. i tapped on the support box and it seems to be empty, not filled with water.

my thinking is the storm collar isnt properly sealed and the water is running down and coming out at stove pipe adaptor

There is a flashing, i just didn't snap a picture of it. The painted piper and box are just decorative pieces that are over the chimney pipe. i tapped on the support box and it seems to be empty, not filled with water.

my thinking is the storm collar isnt properly sealed and the water is running down and coming out at stove pipe adaptor
In most installs that box supports the chimney, or at least with my 2.

I was able to get a few pics after work, didn’t have my long ladder to go on the roof plus it was raining.. one of the nails in the flashing was up a little so I hammered it in
Does anyone see anything out if the ordinary? I can’t see from this angle is the top chimney cap is all there it if the seams on the back side are not sealing

6BD3C06F-DF9D-4251-AE7B-91307D2360AB.jpeg BB456085-91F4-468F-BCA0-A320CBA3E657.jpeg AF1FF8D2-679C-422D-BE9C-D0BE728A02D6.jpeg F4DE19AA-05D4-461E-882D-40339C42EC0C.jpeg

Every penetration has a chance to leak. You at want to seal the heads on those mails. And look further up on the roof. Your leak may be well above the chimney.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
All of that goop around the flashing to the shingles really doesn't do much as the flashing should be far enough outside of the perimeter of the cut shingles. If there are exposed nails that could be a problem and or if it's running past the storm collar and between the flashing and the pipe. look up from the pipe to see if there are any spots where the water can get around and under the flashing. Best if you could see in the attic, especially when it's rainning.

If that is the storm collar and they used roofing tar to seal it, that could be the problem. The roofing tar on the upper side of the flashing should not be there. It is not needed and can act as a water dam.

The proper sealant to use on the storm collar is silicone. A good silicone like GE Silicone II will seal well.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
Yeah, had the tiniest little crack in the sealant literally right above where it was leaking through.. used my cell phone camera to look on the underside and saw the sunlight shining through

Reactions: begreen
Clean off the roofing tar as best as possible. Then apply a generous bead of silicone all around the sealing edge. Finger-trowel it in to assure a good seal.

IDK if it's worth the effort at that point. Clean it well with alcohol to remove all grime and soot.

It’s been up since 09. I replaced it once 2 years ago when a red squirrel looking for a home chewed through it. I replaced the roof last year, so I did it again then.

Just sealing the top didn’t work for me as I have rain blown sideways often and I would get rain up under the collar.