Wood-burning furnace add-on system?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bri89

Oct 28, 2013
Groton, CT
Hi all, I live in a 1400sqft, 2 story home (though I'm not too worried about heating the 2cnd floor as it is only 1 bedroom). We have a partially-finished basement (finished walls, no flooring). Not sure on insulation behind the walls, since we bought it like this. I've recently come across this product: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Englande...Add-On-Furnace-28-3500/100185844#.Um6AaHCsim4. My question is, are these safe to install as an add on to an oil furnace w/baseboard heat? Our home will likely become a rental in a few years, and we want to make sure everything is safe and insurance companies are ok with it. What would cost of install likely be with this? There is no place to put a wood stove in my house besides the basement, and I have heard that is extremely inefficient. We do not have a fireplace/chimney in our home. I'm up for other suggestions on heating a home from a basement via wood (or pellet, but preferably wood) heat.

EDIT: Our heating system is, also, zoned I should mention. Electric is separate in the basement, then two zones of oil heat, one for the first floor and one for the second.

Thanks for all advice!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.

Do you have any duct work in your house since you're using baseboard for heat? The wood burner you linked is really intended to be plumbed in-line with existing forced air appliances to circulate the air. I'm not sure how effective this unit would be simply discharging to the basement air and then "hoping" for circulation to the rest of the house.

As for a chimeny - you could spend as much or more on a chimney and chase than you do the woodburner.
I ran my chimney through the basement wall and then up along the side of the house. Once you penetrate the wall of the house you have to use proper chimney pipe and it is pricey. Something like $70 per 3 foot section if I recall correctly. And it needs to go up to your roof line and then above by a certain amount to meet code.

I hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.