• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian2230

Sep 20, 2020
Rhode Island
I recently purchased a home and would like to have a wood burning insert installed in one of my fireplaces. I was given a rough quote of $3150 for a hearthstone green mountain insert with surround plate and about $1600 for installation and the chimney liner would not be insulated. Total $4750. Does this sound right???

Yes, that sounds normal. If this is an exterior wall fireplace the insert will perform better with an insulated block-off plate below the damper area. This would be an additional cost option, but worth it if the intent is to heat 24/7 with wood.

Reactions: Brian2230
Yes, that sounds normal. If this is an exterior wall fireplace the insert will perform better with an insulated block-off plate below the damper area. This would be an additional cost option, but worth it if the intent is to heat 24/7 with wood.
Well I will not be able to heat the entire house with an insert due to the square footage but I would like for it to be an efficient as possible and produce as much heat as possible to supplement the oil heating system. How much extra are we talking?

It depends on the shop, but usually about $2-300 extra.

Is this a single-story house with a short chimney?

Is this for the GreenMountain GMi70? If so, the manual shows a block-off plate installation on page 18.

Does the estimate say what the liner length will be? Will the liner be insulated?

I recently purchased a home and would like to have a wood burning insert installed in one of my fireplaces. I was given a rough quote of $3150 for a hearthstone green mountain insert with surround plate and about $1600 for installation and the chimney liner would not be insulated. Total $4750. Does this sound right???
The liner should be insulated and you should have a block off plate

Is this for the GreenMountain GMi70? If so, the manual shows a block-off plate installation on page 18.

Does the estimate say what the liner length will be? Will the liner be insulated?
It is a green mountain gmi70. He said as long as the chimney was not longer than 25 feet that the installation would cost $1600. Then I asked if the liner would be insulated and he said no.

It is a green mountain gmi70. He said as long as the chimney was not longer than 25 feet that the installation would cost $1600. Then I asked if the liner would be insulated and he said no.
Did he even inspect the chimney before deciding not to insulate?

He may have been trying to stay competitive with a low bid. What is your estimate of chimney height?

FWIW, with a shorter exterior chimney, I would not hesitate to pay for insulating the liner. It usually is required for code and has the benefits of keeping the flue gases hotter. This translates to a cleaner liner and better draft in milder weather.

No he did not inspect anything this conversation happened in the store and it was just a rough estimate he gave me because I asked about how much it was going to cost for the insert and to have it installed. After hearing the numbers I felt like it was kind of expensive and that didn’t include a insulated liner. I am just looking for an efficient wood burning insert that can supplement as much heat as possible for my oil heat.

He may have been trying to stay competitive with a low bid. What is your estimate of chimney height?

FWIW, with a shorter exterior chimney, I would not hesitate to pay for insulating the liner. It usually is required for code and has the benefits of keeping the flue gases hotter. This translates to a cleaner liner and better draft in milder weather.
My chimney is 19 feet

The liner is infrastructure. It should be done once and done right. Their base price for the liner installation is competitive
My chimney is 19 feet
That's decent. It should draft well.