Wood-Burning Noob Looking For Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I finally got tired of swinging my axe and maul and broke down and bought this bad boy. Gonna fire it up tonight and get to work. Got about 20 downed Ash trees to go through. Biggest rounds are about 2 ft in diameter. Should make my job much easier. I've split about a cord and a half by hand. Enough of that nonsense already! Lol

3cc2d8cfa373dfe4816a65e7af0a3c63.jpg 682017cca0d185124a4e4e10ac035520.jpg f426bca21cb2856f1d867d669c1cf360.jpg

Well, per everyone's advice I've been getting to work and getting this wood split so it can age and dry out. Have a decent start.

757f1f9fbb7e0b9017dc1e5025c4811d.jpg 923affff2b8246eed3c2bf2c4141010c.jpg
Man that splitter sure makes it faster and easier than a maul. Lol

Plan is to get my stove installed next winter. In the meantime, I'll keep adding to the pile. Won't be able to build a shed until next spring though. Advice for covering? Maybe lay some plastic on top??

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, per everyone's advice I've been getting to work and getting this wood split so it can age and dry out. Have a decent start.

View attachment 162055 View attachment 162056
Man that splitter sure makes it faster and easier than a maul. Lol

Plan is to get my stove installed next winter. In the meantime, I'll keep adding to the pile. Won't be able to build a shed until next spring though. Advice for covering? Maybe lay some plastic on top??
I use black plastic sheeting. Black seems to stand up better to UV and blends in better. 3 x 50 rolls are easy but if you get 10 x 25 you can cut it down into 3rds or 4ths depending on your need. For me, 3' on top of 18" - 20" splits. I put some longer limbs on the very top under the plastic to support it from underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.