Q&A wood burning stove clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have read where it states you can use brick with an 1" air gap next to a combustible wall surface. I wanted to know if you did not use the 1" air gap on a combustible wall and without removing the wall to make it solid masonry only, how thick would the brick layer need to be on a combustible wall surface? It just seems that eventually enough layers of brick could be placed on a combustible wall surface???

Answer:

According to NFPA 211, a single brick wall placed directly against a combustible wall will reduce clearances by 33% to the original wall. SOME building inspectors consider two layers of brick or 8" of masonry to be a "non-Combustible" wall, and therefore allow stoves to be an inch or two from this wall...but this is NOT detailed in NFPA..and I cannot assure you that it is safe. However, common sense would dictate that having MOST modern stoves a few inches from such a wall will be a safe installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.