Wood cart/storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Grigg

Jan 7, 2015
Lexington, VA
I had an idea to make a mobile wood rack to bring wood in for the stove. In the past I've use a wheelbarrow and bins about the size of a pallet but 4 or 5' tall open on two sides, moved with pallet jack or forklift.
This time I wanted it to be real easy to fill so only one row deep with supports on the ends.
Take up less useful room so one row deep fits along the wall pretty good, better than a 4' square pallet.
Also wanted it to hold more than a wheelbarrow.

Nothing fancy, used leftover lumber to try out the idea. Found two new wheels and tires for a forklift on eBay quite cheap and made an axle shaft, the wheels already had bearings in them.
It's about 20 or 22" deep and 5' or so long and tall.

I didn't expect it to be very stable in the driveway off the concrete, and sure enough it isn't. Most of the time though I can keep it on concrete from wood pile to stove. First time it didn't exactly tip over but about half the firewood fell out the front... now I use a ratchet strap over the top before moving it. There would be very little risk of tipping at 1/2 or even 3/4 full. It can also be real heavy, so not good on inclines which is fine here.

I've filled it several times now and it's working great, I'm real pleased with the design and size. Eventually I'll make a neat looking and more functional steel tubed frame to replace the wood but probably not anytime soon.

It will hold a full 8' pickup bed load of wood. Randomly thrown in the pickup slightly humped over the rails without trying real hard to stack or keep them from falling out. A well stacked or fully piled truck load would obviously be more than that.

Anyhow, seems to work for me, the idea might possibly work for your wood moving/storing situation too.

IMG_5157[1].JPG IMG_5158[1].JPG

Always looking for ways to make it easier to get wood to stove!

Nice. I'm fixing to build something almost identical except out of some scrap steel I happen to have laying around. Currently I'm keeping wood on a pallet on the covered porch but it really takes up too much space.....the porch is only 6ft deep. I'm thinking about putting a top rail on it so the wife can put hanging flower pots on it in the summer.....and I wont have too move it lol.

Good idea. However make sure the top bar is high enough you don’t hit your head easily.
My pallet sized bins have top pieces and almost 5’ tall is why they’re harder to load, always trying not to hit your head.

Also for such a tall skinny cart the wheels have to be real stiff to not flex and topple the whole thing when moving. Wheelbarrow wheels probably won’t cut it.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I have the stiff wheels off of a chicken tractor that rotted away I was planning to use. I hadn't thought of the top bar being a head knocker. Thanks. Probably saved me some headaches.

I've considered doing that myself. Good work!

geez, after seeing this, i'm ashamed to even speak about the POC tube "hauler" i bought at farmN'barn...