Wood consumption so far?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RandyBoBandy

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2015
Whitmore lake, MI
What’s your stats? By this time the last two years I would have filled my garage storage 5 times. This year I have only filled it twice. I have about a weeks worth left in the garage currently. Rough math is telling me I’m right around a cord or just under at this point.

First heating season with new burner, and trying to heat with wood only. Been unusually warm so far. Think ive gone through 2 cord.

I'd say about a half as well. Also been warm, a few cold spells, but nothing consistent.

1 cord as of today...12/28/19....the day the buckeyes got screwed by the refs in the fiesta bowl.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I heat 27 7 in my cabin have no idea how much I’ve used just been burning wood on porch and few stacks happy to say wood shed is still full. Winter started cold with temps down to -20 now near 40 today.

Closing in on 2 cord. Not too bad considering the stove has been going almost every day since early October.

Just under a cord so far. It was cold enough for much of December to run fulltime, but the next week looks like one load per day will suffice. Did the mid season chimney cleaning this morning -- just over a cup of powder. Not bad, but two summers definitely is not long enough for all of the red oak to dry.

Reactions: Woody Stover
One 30 gallon can of ashes so far- whatever that relates to in cords- primarily Ash splits. A full season results in 3- 30 gallon cans worth of ashes in the past. have not hit the good stuff yet ( Oak , Honey locust, Hard maple) 24/7 since Oct.

Just under a cord so far. It was cold enough for much of December to run fulltime, but the next week looks like one load per day will suffice. Did the mid season chimney cleaning this morning -- just over a cup of powder. Not bad, but two summers definitely is not long enough for all of the red oak to dry.
I have been struggling with Red Oak as well. I’m learning that leaving piles of splits on the ground for a year before stacking does not help much at all.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I think I am almost to 3/4 of a cord. Had half a cord of good dry wood. Now I am running on my less than ideal stuff till next year. I am also down to 30% of my 250 gallon propane tank. I was hoping I could go most of the winter without filling it up but I will need better wood first.

I have a woodshed attached to the back of the house, i fill from the main woodpile once a year. The last three winters I have burned about 2/3 of it in an entire winter. I really don't know how much it holds, but it looks about comparable for use thus far to other winters. What I do know is that I really like my Blaze King Ultra.

I’m pushing 3/4 of cord of poplar and pine. 5 gallons of ash. It’s a lot more than last year but I had higher btu wood last year. It’s been over 70 for the last few days. I was out in shorts splitting wood drenched in sweat today. We should probably just look up heating degree days.

My wood pile is down by a full cord. I would have thoughts after tearing my 1895 house apart, adding 2 x 6's to the wall thickness of 2 x 4's, putting R30 in the walls, plastic sheeting, 5/8" OSB and new Hardi cement siding, I would have used a great deal less.

Then yesterday I came home early and my son has his truck backed up to the wood pile at my house. I asked him if he was short of wood and he said nope...each time I run out I just get some from your pile! Boy do I love my sons....all those years I made them fall trees, run saws and split and stack...they are paying me back!

What’s your stats? By this time the last two years I would have filled my garage storage 5 times. This year I have only filled it twice. I have about a weeks worth left in the garage currently. Rough math is telling me I’m right around a cord or just under at this point.
Hello there....If you know Gordon Van Amburg at Van's Archery, tell him hello for me. I haven't had the pleasure of speaking with him in many years. I once bow hunted in your area....my first real experience in sitting still in a tree stand in 0 degree temps.

Hello there....If you know Gordon Van Amburg at Van's Archery, tell him hello for me. I haven't had the pleasure of speaking with him in many years. I once bow hunted in your area....my first real experience in sitting still in a tree stand in 0 degree temps.
Hello BKVP. Sitting still in a tree stand in 0 degree weather is brutal. I do not know Mr. Amburg personally, however, I believe he retired. The shop closed this past summer/fall.

Maybe 3/4 of a cord between the two stoves. I burn less and less due to more frequent travel lately.

We have used about 2 cords of pine, spruce, and poplar to this point. This is our first year burning and our stove has run almost non-stop since the end of October. We are using about 1/4 of what we normally do for natural gas though.

Closing in on 2 cords burned, mostly softwoods, pine, hemlock, doug fir, with a little maple and birch mixed in. Stove pretty much always warm since the beginning of Oct. 2 loads on a warm day, 3 on a cold one. I’m surprised how much wood it takes to heat my house!

Burned 1 1/2 3 1/2 ready to go 1 1/2 Standby