Wood destroying bug?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
Saw several of them today near my pile while I was finishing up splitting a few logs left in my stash. They are all elevated and covered. I have may be 5 or 6 rounds need to be splitted. I don't think carpenter ants hang around c/c/s pile, do they? ad31d07e96c58347e64692c74a92c4d3.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Normally ants prefer wet or rotting wood. If you have round that need to be split they can definitely be living inside those. There have been many times, I've split a log, only to find a nasty surprise, full of ants. Once the wood is dry they'll show little interest in it.

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
I thought carpenter ants were black. An un-split round can hold moisture for years, I find to my chagrin. I don't recall seeing insects in splits a year old. I think once it's split and dry you won't find anything other than evidence of insects vacating the premises.

Carpenter ants are not all black, there are more varieties than you can shake a stick at.

Reactions: Soundchasm