Wood fire oven chasing away a chilly day. The usual food content warning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
Pretty cool day and the wind turned east off the ocean to make it feel even cooler. Fired the oven for four pizzas.

Used white cedar splits to get it going. You can see the ember spits on the front of the brick floor. Then added cherry, beech and maple woodworking cutoffs.

IMG_3402.JPG

Put the angle iron in and pushed the fire back and switched to maple to brown the top. Ready to go.

IMG_3406.JPG

Regular cheese for starters.

IMG_3407.JPG

Pepperoni, nicely crisped.

IMG_3409.JPG

BBQ chicken. Hands down winner tonight.

IMG_3410.JPG

New one for us. Olive oil, fresh tomato, minced garlic and mozz cheese. Very fresh tasting. Almost like a Margherita.

IMG_3412.JPG

Looks better than my dinner, a Digiono frozen pizza (that I accidentally left the cardboard on the bottom of)!

Reactions: fishingpol
Looks great fishingpol, when did you start pushing the angle iron in?

Looks sooo good. All I got is store bought garlic bread pizza here. Will pretend it was from your outdoor oven ;)

MMMmmmm....good looking pizza.

I don't have one of the fancy pants dome ovens, but I do grill pizza on occasion.
If you are looking for a change up, try roasted red peppers (in place of the red sauce), fresh mozz, basil leaves,asparagus and prosciutto. Mmmmm good.

Looks like the oven is holding up well! looks so good

It is doing good. A couple of internal cracks and one on the outside at the top of the opening. Nothing to be concerned about I think. It was pretty smooth until the blizzard, and snow caused the outer layer to spall a little and loose sand/clay. It is like sandpaper now on the outside.

I don't cover it to let it breathe. I think covering it will trap moisture and lead to failure. Stupid blizzard.

IMG_2892.JPG

MMMmmmm....good looking pizza.

I don't have one of the fancy pants dome ovens, but I do grill pizza on occasion.
If you are looking for a change up, try roasted red peppers (in place of the red sauce), fresh mozz, basil leaves,asparagus and prosciutto. Mmmmm good.

Ooooh, that does sound good. I may have to try that.

Looks great - we called that last one a "white pizza" or "Tomato pie" back in the day. Fresh basil /and or oregano will really make it pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.