Wood Fireplace Compatibility

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jkoelker01

Aug 28, 2019
Iowa
Hello, this is my first post to this forum and I am very new (learning lots) to the fireplace arena.

We are trying to find out if there is a wood burning fireplace compatible with our Class A chimney. A little background, we purchased our 1977 walk out ranch 8 years ago and at the time there was a large Nashua wood stove in the basement on a limestone hearth that we weren't necessarily fond of. It was connected via black stove pipe to the Class A chimney which is still in my house. 8 years later we are wanting to put in a fireplace as we finish our basement. We are being told locally that there aren't any wood fireplaces compatible via an adapter to connect to a Class A chimney. We are only being given stove options. Can anyone provide any insight to that as to whether that is true or not? It's very possible this is true but I wanted to hear it from an ourside source and what better forum to post it too. We are open to stove options if that is our only choice but wanted to have all the information so we can be assured we've exhausted all options.

Attached are a few pictures of what I have. I do need to get into the attic yet and see if there are any labels or such on the pipe but it's towards the very far end which requires me to superman on the insulation. knowing what brand of chimney pipe we have could help guide me into options as well.

Thanks for any and all help, I do appreciate it.

chimney pipe trim baffle.jpg chimney pipe inside dimension.jpg chimney.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. There definitely are some EPA fireplaces that use a class A chimney. 7" is an oddball size however and the location of the chimney will not be proper even if it could be used. It may be better to start over or consider a great new EPA stove to replace the Nashua. You will still have a nice fire view and a much cleaner and efficient source of heat. This would be a much less expensive option.

Welcome. There definitely are some EPA fireplaces that use a class A chimney. 7" is an oddball size however and the location of the chimney will not be proper even if it could be used. It may be better to start over or consider a great new EPA stove to replace the Nashua. You will still have a nice fire view and a much cleaner and efficient source of heat. This would be a much less expensive option.
Thanks for responding so quickly, I do appreciate it.

Can you elaborate on the proper location of the chimney? Would I be able to simply use a couple 15 or 30 degree connections and a straight section from my existing chimney to the wood fireplace on the hearth? See below for the hearth, disregard the fireplace that is sitting there. We picked it up used thinking we could make it work and are realizing how much more there is too this.

hearth.jpg

There are many variables. The class A has to qualify for what the fireplace mfg allows. It must be rated 2100ºHT. If the fireplace takes 6" chimney there would have to be a class A transition piece to the 7". Then, if there is room, an offset in the 6" chimney section might work.

That said, with that good looking hearth it would be so much simpler to install a nice stove there.

Reactions: Jkoelker01
Pacific Energy and Osburn (or Flame, Valcourt) make fireplaces that take 6" class A chimney. See how one of these would fit given the above-mentioned caveats.

Reactions: Jkoelker01
Hello, this is my first post to this forum and I am very new (learning lots) to the fireplace arena.

We are trying to find out if there is a wood burning fireplace compatible with our Class A chimney. A little background, we purchased our 1977 walk out ranch 8 years ago and at the time there was a large Nashua wood stove in the basement on a limestone hearth that we weren't necessarily fond of. It was connected via black stove pipe to the Class A chimney which is still in my house. 8 years later we are wanting to put in a fireplace as we finish our basement. We are being told locally that there aren't any wood fireplaces compatible via an adapter to connect to a Class A chimney. We are only being given stove options. Can anyone provide any insight to that as to whether that is true or not? It's very possible this is true but I wanted to hear it from an ourside source and what better forum to post it too. We are open to stove options if that is our only choice but wanted to have all the information so we can be assured we've exhausted all options.

Attached are a few pictures of what I have. I do need to get into the attic yet and see if there are any labels or such on the pipe but it's towards the very far end which requires me to superman on the insulation. knowing what brand of chimney pipe we have could help guide me into options as well.

Thanks for any and all help, I do appreciate it.

View attachment 246969 View attachment 246970 View attachment 246971
It is probably true yes. Do you know what brand chimney it is and if you can still get components to match up with it?

There are many variables. The class A has to qualify for what the fireplace mfg allows. It must be rated 2100ºHT. If the fireplace takes 6" chimney there would have to be a class A transition piece to the 7". Then, if there is room, an offset in the 6" chimney section might work.

That said, with that good looking hearth it would be so much simpler to install a nice stove there.
I don't know that anyone makes a 6 to 7 adapter in class a chimney. I could be wrong but I don't ever remember seeing one

I'll see about getting up into the attic this weekend and determining if there is any labeling on the outside of the chimney pipe that can help out.

Although we are open to the stove, our first choice would be a wood burning fireplace but if it isn't possible we will go the stove route. I'll post an update when I find out more.

Thanks again everyone.

I don't know that anyone makes a 6 to 7 adapter in class a chimney. I could be wrong but I don't ever remember seeing one
Nor I. It's a long shot.

Reactions: bholler
Forgive the question, but when you say "fireplace" are you meaning an open hearth like the image below?
open-hearth-fireplace.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: