Wood fireplace question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clipse270

Mar 25, 2017
Harrisburg PA
Hi all, I have been reading these forums for the better part of a year trying to decide whether I want a pellet stove or wood fireplace. Having talked to several stores here in southern pa I’ve realized nothing is going to be better than my natural gas heat so rather than pay for a pellet stove I was toying with the idea of removing the gas logs in my masonry fireplace and turning back into a wood burning fireplace. Had an inspection done which showed I definitely need a new liner put in. I’m wondering what I can expect to pay for this transition as the first estimate I had, whom gave it over the phone explained that the whole interior of the fireplace had to be rebuilt as well as a liner would be put in. They estimated 10-15k easy. I want a fireplace just to use occasionally and not use as a heat source. Does this price sound pretty high? Thoughts appreciated! Ps the chimney is exterior