Wood for the future

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RSNovi

Feeling the Heat
May 12, 2010
Michigan
Finally have a supply that will allow me to dry for at least two years. I have been burning only 1 year seasoned wood.

Attachments

• 0BD9862A-18CF-4B37-BF59-D4F5D912FF72.jpeg
    0BD9862A-18CF-4B37-BF59-D4F5D912FF72.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 231
That should get you through December. 2023.

Reactions: RSNovi
I'd have to clear cut my 6 acre woods to make a pile like that! Thankfully I've got access to many more acres. What all do you have on that pile?

I think it is a mix of red/white oak, ash, maple, and a small amount of cherry.

Reactions: andym
Somebody has a lot of extra time on there hands or many friend to help. Where do you find the time and energy ?

Somebody has a lot of extra time on there hands or many friend to help. Where do you find the time and energy ?
I'm not the OP but I enjoy the process. Call me weird, but I consider it a hobby. I don't gain much weight through the winter either....The old saying is mostly true: You find time for the things you want to do.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Andym ----Yes, by all means. Always do what you want to do. As long as it's enjoyable and does not negatively impact you or others do it.
Do you split by hand ?

Andym ----Yes, by all means. Always do what you want to do. As long as it's enjoyable and does not negatively impact you or others do it.
Do you split by hand ?
I burn about 4 cords per year. Right now I'm 2 years ahead. I normally split everything by hand that can be. I use my dad's 3pt splitter for the gnarly ones. The last two years I've been cutting a lot of elm. Chinese and red elm are almost impossible to split by hand! I love burning red elm tho. Once I hit 45 tho I'm buying or building a good splitter! (15 years to go.)
I wasn't trying to imply that you don't enjoy processing firewood, or make it a priority. Nothing personal. I just know some people wait until the last split is in the stove to think about cutting more! They have 24 hrs a day too!

Andym,
It's all good , my original post was meant in a joking way.

The reason I asked about hand splitting was to give you and others a heads-up --Carpal tunnel syndrome -- avoid it as it is no fun and despite what some sources say the surgery is not 100% effective. Many times I remind myself why I started burning ( save money stay warm ). There are a lot of aspects of firewood processing that can cost you in more ways then just your health. Stay Safe & have Fun.

I have to admit I didn’t split any of it. I stacked some with my kids. People who delivered wood stacked some. Team effort.

Reactions: Lakeside
You say this is year 1!!