Wood for today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad3

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2007
Southeast CT
Picked up a good score today. Friend asked me to help him with a tree that blew down from the next door neighbors house to his property. Asked him what it was, he didn't know. Went over today to start for an hour. Found a White Ash!!! Not that I need wood right now, this will be good for the end of the season.
Chad

Free wood is always good, Free white ash is really REALLY good! nice score.

Free white ash everywhere over here. Already seasoned, all you have to do is fell it buck it and split it. Darn EAB.

Todays haul:
These suckers were bears!!! I brought the larger saw (Husky 372, not the real big boy). It just hit the tip cutting all the way through it, 24", and ended up with 10 rounds of 20" each. I was thinking that ash was going to be a fairly light wood because of the whole lack of sap, etc. First, I couldn't lift the rounds, had to roll them up the makeshift ramp (everyone has cut the 6' limb to roll logs up right?). Should have brought the maul, but forgot it and I wish I would have brought it. Loaded my second bed, still have about a load left (so about a cord on the tree). Can't wait to burn next year. The farmer also has a few of the biggest oaks I've ever seen around here, maybe I can have him get rid of a few of those.
The cow kept me company today, he was eating the leaves like it was his job.
Chad

Mr T said:
Free white ash everywhere over here. Already seasoned, all you have to do is fell it buck it and split it. Darn EAB.

Have you ever burned for heat? I doubt it or you would not use "already seasoned" and "buck it" in the same sentence, let alone fell it.

If hasn't been split for at least 6 months it isn't seasoned. I don't care how long it's been dead. In log form, it will rot before it will self-season.

Another full haul today. The butt on one side (oval) buried my 28" bar. I have one of the original monster mauls (17 pound) and it was bouncing off the wood. Whoever says that this wood is easy to split is wrong in this case, give me oak for that.
Chad

As a buddy of mine always says.
"You just can't beat a nice piece of ash".

First post to the wood shed . I am a new wood burner and this week split some free apple wood and was amazed at the smell , color and density. looks awesome !! had split some other wood that was just rank. So far all my wood has been free except the $100. i voluntarily gave a log truck driver to bring me two full loads of pine logs. it is amazing how much you can get for free if you ask.

countrybois said:
Mr T said:

Have you ever burned for heat? I doubt it or you would not use "already seasoned" and "buck it" in the same sentence, let alone fell it.

If hasn't been split for at least 6 months it isn't seasoned. I don't care how long it's been dead. In log form, it will rot before it will self-season.

White ash can be burned fairly green. It already has a very low moisture content.

Status
Not open for further replies.