Wood Furnace Help for Shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Looks like a really nice area and set up. I agree with the flue sharing concern though. Any draft issues when both furnaces are running?
I have not run both at the same time. Do not see why this would be an issue. I've been in several houses with 2 fireplaces in the home on different stories sharing a flue pipe. But you might be right. Won't know until I try.

If you had (2) 6" appliances into an 8" chimney, (50 sq in) I'd be more inclined to think it'd be fine, but (2) 6" (56 sq in total) into a single 6" (28 sq in) seems like things might get wonky at times.

Last edited:
I have not run both at the same time. Do not see why this would be an issue. I've been in several houses with 2 fireplaces in the home on different stories sharing a flue pipe. But you might be right. Won't know until I try.
You don’t think that those two fireplaces maybe fed into two flues within the same chimney? We have lots of multiflue chimneys here.

You stuffed that drolet right against the wall. Is there a required rear clearance?

No 18” off the floor?

Everything works great! Both furnaces rolling today. No flue pipe issues or issues with the furnaces not working right.
No smoke rollout when loading one while the other is running?
How tall is your chimney?

Well, can't even beat those results with a stick then!

So. After using the Drolet a few times and comparing it to my Kuuma VF100... I will put in my .02...

Pros
It works and puts heat out.
Fit form and functions well
The plenum is a nice feature.
So is the moisture meter.
Huge ash pan.
Quiet fan

Cons
Small burn area. There's no way you can put enough wood in it for a 10hr burn like it advertises. Maybe 6hrs at best.

Vaporfire 100
Pros.
Large burn area for long runs
Low/med/high setting
Clean chimney every year

Cons
Small ashpan
Fan seems loud compared to drolet

Reactions: sloeffle
So. After using the Drolet a few times and comparing it to my Kuuma VF100... I will put in my .02...

Pros
It works and puts heat out.
Fit form and functions well
The plenum is a nice feature.
So is the moisture meter.
Huge ash pan.
Quiet fan

Cons
Small burn area. There's no way you can put enough wood in it for a 10hr burn like it advertises. Maybe 6hrs at best.

Vaporfire 100
Pros.
Large burn area for long runs
Low/med/high setting
Clean chimney every year

Cons
Small ashpan
Fan seems loud compared to drolet

Thanks for sharing.

My favorite Pros.
It works fantastic, Made in the USA (small town manufacturing), American Steel, and Customer Service (Every week, we hear how nice it is to call a number and actually get to speak with someone.) Not many companies are willing or able to help with the installation/design process or to the extent that we go.

Reactions: Highbeam
Thanks for sharing.

My favorite Pros.
It works fantastic, Made in the USA (small town manufacturing), American Steel, and Customer Service (Every week, we hear how nice it is to call a number and actually get to speak with someone.) Not many companies are willing or able to help with the installation/design process or to the extent that we go.
Not entirely on topic, but just curious how many family members and employees heat their place with a VF?
I know your dad does, and Morgan and Dale were working on it...surely others there...take a poll tomorrow?

Cost was half what a VF100 is. Viewing window? It's a furnace... its not a centerpiece in my main living area. Typically furnaces aren't located where you can sit and watch a fire. LOL
OK, a furnace is more for utility than a stove. But in my semi-finished basement I sit and watch my fire all the time. Love the glass door on of my furnace.

OK, a furnace is more for utility than a stove. But in my semi-finished basement I sit and watch my fire all the time. Love the glass door on of my furnace.
I think graafb was trying to be funny. A window is obviously better than no window. Kuuma finds a loss of efficiency from the uninsulated glass. I find lack of a window makes the thing look like it’s from the 1970s.

I’m sitting in a barn right now in front of a stove window full of hot fire. It’s lovely.

Reactions: trx250r87