Wood Furnace Help for Shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Graafb

Dec 17, 2022
SW MO
Hello. I've been a member on here years ago and couldn't remember my username. Anyways I currently have a 50x100 Shop house. Barndo.. shouse... I am currently heating the living area 3300sq ft with a KUUMA Vaporfire 100. I've had this furnace for 7 plus years now and LOVE it! Daryll and Garrett are great folks up there in MN!!
I am looking to set another furnace next to my VF100 and heat my shop area. I've been looking at old used junk and decided against it. I thought about the smaller VF200 for my shop but see they are in testing process now. Any word on results and ETA?

My shop area is just under 2000sq ft. Red Iron building with 4" roll insulation on walls and ceiling.

Anyways. I'm looking for a furnace. $3000 or less. Something that will be decent. Can use the 26% back now. Or whats available next year on the 30% back on tax credit? Have been looking at the Shelter/Fire Chief SF1000E. Are they crap?

Need to make a decision next week at whatever would be my best option for the Tax Credit! TIA guys!

Have been looking at the Shelter/Fire Chief SF1000E. Are they crap?
YES!

Only other option beyond the VF100 is a Drolet Heat Commander, but I think they may be on backorder until January.

Are you sure you can install a solid fuel fired heater in there? Many insurance companies won't allow one for a garage or shop...especially a "garage"...they worry about gas leaks/fumes...

YES!

Only other option beyond the VF100 is a Drolet Heat Commander, but I think they may be on backorder until January.

Are you sure you can install a solid fuel fired heater in there? Many insurance companies won't allow one for a garage or shop...especially a "garage"...they worry about gas leaks/fumes...
I already have a kuuma VF100 installed in my garage area with no issues from my insurance Co. Don't know why adding another would be an issue?

Looks like I can purchase a drolet furnace through northern tool? No?

Oh, and tax credit next year has a cap of 2k iirc... do it this year if you can

Oh, and tax credit next year has a cap of 2k iirc... do it this year if you can
The Drolet Heat Commander is $3400 from NT right now. So 30% back next year would be just over $1000. This furnace will qualify for 30% back right? If so I'll just wait until next year.

The Drolet Heat Commander is $3400 from NT right now. So 30% back next year would be just over $1000. This furnace will qualify for 30% back right? If so I'll just wait until next year.
You'll have to check it out to make sure, but I believe its 30% of $2k max...whereas its 26% of the whole enchilada now (2022)...chimney, ductwork, labor, everything. in either case though I think its only good for the taxes you actually owe (or paid), not above and beyond...but I heard you can try to recoup the rest the following year maybe...you should check with your tax guy if that's a deal maker/breaker...

Reactions: lampmfg
You'll have to check it out to make sure, but I believe its 30% of $2k max...whereas its 26% of the whole enchilada now (2022)...chimney, ductwork, labor, everything. in either case though I think its only good for the taxes you actually owe (or paid), not above and beyond...but I heard you can try to recoup the rest the following year maybe...you should check with your tax guy if that's a deal maker/breaker...
It's 30% back. With a $2000 max credit... meaning if you spend 24k on a geothermal unit. You won't get 30% back on the 24k. You would get 2k back. So you'd be best buying a geothermal unit this year and getting a full 26% back on it now before next year. To avoid the 2k cap..

What? This is the first time hearing about the 30%. See below:

I had always thought the current tax credit in place is 26% in 2021 and 2022, then decreases to 22% for 2023. Where is the 30% coming from. I hope you’re not right 2k max is pretty easy to hit with a new system.

Where is the 30% coming from. I hope you’re not right 2k max is pretty easy to hit with a new system.
That starts in 2023...not sure if it supersedes the previous program that was to go from 26% down to 22% for 2023 (but still unlimited)

What? This is the first time hearing about the 30%. See below:

I had always thought the current tax credit in place is 26% in 2021 and 2022, then decreases to 22% for 2023. Where is the 30% coming from. I hope you’re not right 2k max is pretty easy to hit with a new system.

From what I gather this bill supercedes the 22% for next year but capped at $2000 max return on a system..

From what I gather this bill supercedes the 22% for next year but capped at $2000 max return on a system..
According to this you’re correct:

2023 is discontinued under the previous incentive. That’s a huge bummer. What I don’t get is it appears it’s $2000 ANNUALLY. What does that mean? Once you buy and install the stove, you’re not going to spend installation on it again right? Unless that’s regarding a whole new heating system separate from the initial one. It would be nice to get 30% back on the purchase of the stove the first year, and then 30% back on the install of the same stove the following year. Both of those could peg the $2k max. I’m sure they’ve thought of that loophole though.

I apologize for completely derailing the thread.

Last edited:
According to this you’re correct:

2023 is discontinued under the previous incentive. That’s a huge bummer. What I don’t get is it appears it’s $2000 ANNUALLY. What does that mean? Once you buy and install the stove, you’re not going to spend installation on it again right? Unless that’s regarding a whole new heating system separate from the initial one. It would be nice to get 30% back on the purchase of the stove the first year, and then 30% back on the install of the same stove the following year. Both of those could peg the $2k max. I’m sure they’ve thought of that loophole though.

I apologize for completely derailing the thread.
It's completely fine. But the bottom line is this. The Biden admin is making it sound better than what it is. They say 30% refund... but capped at $2000. Meaning you can buy up to $7000 and get 2k back.... any system plus install over 7k you would be better off purchasing this year...

I ended up purchasing a Drolet Heat Commander today. I found a place with free shipping and no taxes which was better deal than NT.
Drolet are increasing in price tonight across all retailers BTW..
I decided to get now and not next year. The increase in price plus the 30% next year was more expensive than the price now and 26% back for this year's tax break.

I understand this isn't a Kuuma! I love my VF100! But I cannot spend 8k on a furnace to heat my shop! Especially when I purchased it for 4800 over 7 years ago.

understand this isn't a Kuuma! I love my VF100! But I cannot spend 8k on a furnace to heat my shop! Especially when I purchased it for 4800 over 7 years ago.
Drolet wood furnace was 1700 or so back then...my sister bought hers on sale $1200

Drolet wood furnace was 1700 or so back then...my sister bought hers on sale $1200
Weren't the HC's either $2,300 or $2,700 early last year and then you got the 26% government credit back on top of that ?

Weren't the HC's either $2,300 or $2,700 early last year and then you got the 26% government credit back on top of that ?
Yeah they were somewhere in that range...

They gonna keep that proce til Xmas eve she thought. But you pay $400+ on shipping and local taxes. So add another $700 to that. I got mine for 3750. Free shipping. No taxes.
It will be interesting to see what you think about how it compares to the VF...

Reactions: laynes69 and Graafb
So I received the Drolet last Friday. I got it installed in my shop today. Totally cake walk! Some things I thought was nice. It came with a plenum, thermostat, and moisture meter! It is well built. Fit form and function is good. Built a fire in it late afternoon and my shop is 70. Which shouldn't be too hard because it was in the 60s in SW MO today. Tomorrow will be in the 40s and a better test.

20230111_165523.jpg 20230111_165102.jpg 20230111_171904.jpg

Nice...but I have to wonder if having both units hooked to the same 6" chimney isn't going to cause some problems though...