Wood furnace outlet register temperature. Is it getting too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
A friend of mine has Summers heat wood furnace.
Which, I understand, is just an adopted wood stove with blower and hot air 6-inch pipe on a top.
It stays in a basement and is connected directly to the floor register upstairs with a galvanized 6-inch duct.
It works pretty well, but he worries that galvanized pipe and register get too hot when in contact with wood floor/plywood.
Is this can be a fire hazard. It gets almost too hot to touch.
Thanks.

Hard to answer the question without knowing the actual temperature it is. Almost too hot to touch is a pretty vague term, but isnt what I would call hot hot. I'm thinking much above 120 and you cant hold fingers on it for very long.

Reactions: sloeffle
I’ll measure with IF thermometer and report back.
What temperature you’d say is acceptable?

150* would be no big deal...maybe even a little more...if its much more than that very often I'd have to start asking why...almost sounds like something could be wrong. And did you mean 8" duct connection? If its restricted down to a 6" then that is almost a 50% reduction in air flow...that would make it run hot!

Reactions: sloeffle