Wood furnace vs. pellet furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You say that like its a bad thing...>>
If you have never had a stove with a window then you wont miss it...but if you have, then you will...I do.

I was mostly being a smart azz. ;lol

We have a conventional fireplace. I do miss the snap, crackle, pop and smell of an open fire. Maybe we need to find a way to be able to leave the door open too so I can also get back to enjoying those aspects of burning wood too. :p ;lol

Reactions: brenndatomu
OP's house being 2000 ft of new build it may not have a high heat load either...but, he is also in what is typically a little colder area though too. I would still want to discuss with Lamppa the possibility that a VF200 would be a better fit than the larger VF100...
Add to the fact of trying to force hot air down.....my other concern is it seems his supply ducts run in a crawl space under the house.....? if so, how well heated is this space?? I see some issues if he's trying to run his supply ducts in un-heated (or even partially heated) space before the supply air gets dumped into the house. Maybe this was covered already and I didn't see it....? EPA furnaces don't have the raw BTU output needed to overcome those kind of duct losses.

I was mostly being a smart azz. ;lol

We have a conventional fireplace. I do miss the snap, crackle, pop and smell of an open fire. Maybe we need to find a way to be able to leave the door open too so I can also get back to enjoying those aspects of burning wood too. :p ;lol
Maybe suggest to Lamppa that they come out with a high temp wifi camera to install on the inside of the door. The camera would live stream to your phone, tablet,etc complete with sound effects! :cool:

Maybe suggest to Lamppa that they come out with a high temp wifi camera to install on the inside of the door. The camera would live stream to your phone, tablet,etc complete with sound effects! :cool:
Could even have simulated video, based on firebox temp, stage of the burn, and damper setting, etc... ;) ;lol

Could even have simulated video, based on firebox temp, stage of the burn, and damper setting, etc... ;) ;lol

I'll just put a TV on my plenum downstairs and loop this video. Problem solved. ;lol

Heatmax 2 are at the lowest price I have seen. $1799 US.

Add to the fact of trying to force hot air down.....my other concern is it seems his supply ducts run in a crawl space under the house.....? if so, how well heated is this space?? I see some issues if he's trying to run his supply ducts in un-heated (or even partially heated) space before the supply air gets dumped into the house. Maybe this was covered already and I didn't see it....? EPA furnaces don't have the raw BTU output needed to overcome those kind of duct losses.

Good questions.

OP?

Heatmax 2 are at the lowest price I have seen. $1799 US.

Looks like MFP is down to (2) Heatpros...

I am running into crawl space but the crawl is insulated. 2” foam board on all concrete walls it’s stays above 50* even when it’s below 0 outside I hope that’s enough

Are the ducts running through this cooler space insulated well? If not this may be a problem. IMHO.

Are the ducts running through this cooler space insulated well? If not this may be a problem. IMHO.

It is very typical in my area to have supply ducts in the crawl space. They’re insulated and usually flex duct. Isn’t flex a problem?

You say that like its a bad thing...>>
If you have never had a stove with a window then you wont miss it...but if you have, then you will...I do.
But yeah, most of the time you just load the firebox and walk away....with a proper heat load it could/would be that way for sure...but OP may be a bit like me in that my house doesn't require mega BTU's to maintain temp, plus we have had a couple pretty mild winters since my VF100 install...anyways, since I am often running at about the bare minimum I am often scrapeing around for the last few coals to get things fired off again, so sometimes I will sit there for a few minutes to make sure the fire takes off.
OP's house being 2000 ft of new build it may not have a high heat load either...but, he is also in what is typically a little colder area though too. I would still want to discuss with Lamppa the possibility that a VF200 would be a better fit than the larger VF100...I assume the VF200 will be re-released here shortly, @lampmfg ?

When we went back to test the VF200, they had installed new filters that hadn't been present during our previous R&D testing. We have been going back and forth with them for a while about how to remedy the issue. Before proceeding, we want to see how things play out with the EPA's handling of the Firechief Phase 2 model. We are shooting for the fall, but it's not set in stone.