Wood furnace vs. pellet furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Erichomeowner

Apr 6, 2020
Sister Bay Wisconsin
hello my name is Eric and my wife and I built a house 2 years ago. I grew up heating with wood and when I finally got to build my house that’s what I wanted to do. We installed a hotblast wood furnace and when colder weather started I fired it up heated the house fine which is about 2000sq but I couldn’t get flue temperatures out of creosote range and it would burn through lots of wood couldn’t get more than 3-4 hours on a full load. The thing also smoked a lot. after 7 days I checked stove pipe and chimney and it was almost full of creosote. So I cleaned it all out and started over and after 10 more days I woke up to smoke puffing out of the damper and I looked outside and there was creosote all over the snow around my house. Also want to add I was burning seasoned hardwood.

It scared me to say the least. So I said no more and took it out. This last winter I only used propane furnace and yes it kept us warm but it’s not wood heat. So after doing some research I was looking at some pellet furnaces. I’m on here asking for some help deciding on what to do now? go back to burning wood with a different furnace or switch to pellet. Thanks everyone

Unseasoned wood burnt in a stove with very questionable reviews. Both can be fixed. Others will be chiming in that have more experience with your type of stove. Welcome to hearth.

Reactions: sloeffle
Unseasoned wood burnt in a stove with very questionable reviews. Both can be fixed. Others will be chiming in that have more experience with your type of stove. Welcome to hearth.

thanks for the welcome. As for the stove I know it was a cheaper furnace I bought it for the price I learned my lesson. And as for wood the wood I was burning was well seasoned oak, ash, and birch cut and spilt over 2 years before burning.

When you say seasoned what moisture content?

EPA certified stove? I ask because the flue temps will be lower than what your used to with a non epa stove. Sounds more like wet wood and a poor draft condition.

Pellets cost about 15% more around here than propane.

Welcome and good luck.

When you say seasoned what moisture content?

EPA certified stove? I ask because the flue temps will be lower than what your used to with a non epa stove. Sounds more like wet wood and a poor draft condition.

Pellets cost about 15% more around here than propane.

Welcome and good luck.

hello and thanks it was not a epa stove and moisture content was between 15-20% and I can get Aton of pellets for around $200

If you decide on going with a wood furnace there are only two I would consider. The Kuuma Vapor-Fire is possibly (probably) the best one out there. Virtually a smokeless burn therefor no creosote. You should easily be able to more than double your current burn times. Another to consider is the Caddy series by PSG. Before any purchase talk to manufacturer and tell them your set up-chimney, return air ect...... The Kuuma can also be installed as a add-on and run in conjunction with your Propane.

Last edited:
hello and thanks it was not a epa stove and moisture content was between 15-20% and I can get Aton of pellets for around $200
Pound for pound propane has almost 4x the BTUs of pellets. @$1.21 a gallon it is considerably cheaper especially when you figure a 95%+ efficiency with the furnace.

I would look at the draft of the furnace or your house is too sealed up to give it enough air. The hotblast is a super simple stove to run.

Reactions: sloeffle
Pound for pound propane has almost 4x the BTUs of pellets. @$1.21 a gallon it is considerably cheaper especially when you figure a 95%+ efficiency with the furnace.

I would look at the draft of the furnace or your house is too sealed up to give it enough air. The hotblast is a super simple stove to run.

thanks again yes my house is built super tight I never thought about that being a problem.

hello my name is Eric and my wife and I built a house 2 years ago. I grew up heating with wood and when I finally got to build my house that’s what I wanted to do. We installed a hotblast wood furnace and when colder weather started I fired it up heated the house fine which is about 2000sq but I couldn’t get flue temperatures out of creosote range and it would burn through lots of wood couldn’t get more than 3-4 hours on a full load. The thing also smoked a lot. after 7 days I checked stove pipe and chimney and it was almost full of creosote. So I cleaned it all out and started over and after 10 more days I woke up to smoke puffing out of the damper and I looked outside and there was creosote all over the snow around my house. Also want to add I was burning seasoned hardwood.

It scared me to say the least. So I said no more and took it out. This last winter I only used propane furnace and yes it kept us warm but it’s not wood heat. So after doing some research I was looking at some pellet furnaces. I’m on here asking for some help deciding on what to do now? go back to burning wood with a different furnace or switch to pellet. Thanks everyone
Which model Hotblast was it? Doesn't really matter I guess...they range from bad to worse on how well they work...unless you live in a barn and just let the big dog eat...which will make a ton of heat if you can keep up with its appetite. And letting it run hard, burning truly dry (not "seasoned"...to experienced burners, seasoned is code for: not dry enough to burn) is about the only way that it won't crap your chimney right up...just as you experienced.
If you want to burn wood, buy a better furnace...most bang for the buck is probably gonna be something from Drolet...Tundra II/Heatmax II (same furnace) https://myfireplaceproducts.com/us_en/drolet-heatmax-ii-wood-furnace-df01001
which is only gonna be available for another month or so (May 15) due to the EPA 2020 rules kicking in...after that, your only choice for a firewood burning hot air furnace will be the Kuuma VF100...which just happens to be the best you can get...and the only one that is 2020 certified as of right now. https://www.lamppakuuma.com/vapor-fire-100/
But rumor has it that Drolet has some 2020 models coming this fall...who knows what that's gonna look like as far as how they work, price, etc, etc, etc.
If you want to burn pellets, that certainly comes at a price too...buying the pellets, loading the hopper, cleaning the burn chamber/etc...sounds to me like pellet eaters tend to need a lot of maintenance...just my take on reading about them.

Good point...

after that, your only choice for a firewood burning hot air furnace will be the Kuuma VF100...which just happens to be the best you can get...and the only one that is 2020 certified as of right now.
You mentioned something I've been wondering about. Kuuma is still advertised as "the only 2020 EPA wood furnace". This is no longer the case. Misleading at best, outright false advertising at worst. My local Menards has a Shelter 2020 approved furnace in stock. Granted there is no comparison between the two and I am NOT endorsing Fire Chief/Shelter. Perhaps someone should tell Lamppa to do a Google search on the term '2020 EPA wood furnace'?

To the OP: if you are truly wanting wood heat, don't settle for pellets or propane. Get a Drolet while you can! Or if you can afford it get the Kuuma. Your chimney problems can be solved! The members here can point you to a solution it you are willing to take advice. (Sounds to me like your house is too tight and you've probably got a masonry chimney?) A chimney filled with creosote is not a typical day of burning wood.

Nothing wrong with pellets. If you aren't into the commitment/lifestyle of wood burning, it may be perfect for you.

By the way: I've got a brand new Drolet Heatmax2 awaiting the trip to the basement....

Kuuma is still advertised as "the only 2020 EPA wood furnace". This is no longer the case. Misleading at best, outright false advertising at worst. My local Menards has a Shelter 2020 approved furnace in stock.
Well...technically you are right...BUT, those things are so bad I refuse to acknowledge their existence...ask, @Medic21 what he did with his. ;lol
AND, while yes they "passed", rumor has it...well, more than a rumor, it was done so with a variance to the test...which later on it was determined that the variance changed the essence of the test and so would have to be re-tested...the test labs are pretty backed up lately and I haven't heard if they have retested yet or not...I know Lamppa has been trying to get their smaller VF200 in for testing for some time...I thought I heard that happened already, but they are not advertising it yet so...

Last edited:
You mentioned something I've been wondering about. Kuuma is still advertised as "the only 2020 EPA wood furnace". This is no longer the case. Misleading at best, outright false advertising at worst. My local Menards has a Shelter 2020 approved furnace in stock. Granted there is no comparison between the two and I am NOT endorsing Fire Chief/Shelter. Perhaps someone should tell Lamppa to do a Google search on the term '2020 EPA wood furnace'?

To the OP: if you are truly wanting wood heat, don't settle for pellets or propane. Get a Drolet while you can! Or if you can afford it get the Kuuma. Your chimney problems can be solved! The members here can point you to a solution it you are willing to take advice. (Sounds to me like your house is too tight and you've probably got a masonry chimney?) A chimney filled with creosote is not a typical day of burning wood.

Nothing wrong with pellets. If you aren't into the commitment/lifestyle of wood burning, it may be perfect for you.

By the way: I've got a brand new Drolet Heatmax2 awaiting the trip to the basement....

yes my house is built tight. And my chimney is stainless 6”

I don’t care how much engineering or testing that HY-C does with any product they sell. It’s hard enough to polish a turd and all they are doing at this point is smearing around a pile of crap trying to say it smells better...

crimminy , an old home built barrel stove works better than those hot blast chi-com units- and i had one - automatic "overfire" damper is a joke. Blower motor bearings went south 1/2 way through first season. All that damper ever did was stick wide open despite many attempts to correct. Before the big internet hack there were pages and pages of info on them. Might still be able to get an Englander wood furnace ( MADE IN USA) nothing fancy but is a secondary burn unit that meets current EPA rules - don't know about 2020 ones though. The Canadian Drolet units are decent also. Got to hurry though as the window is closing on sales of pre 2020 spec units.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Is lamppa open right now? I tried calling them to get info about their furnace and there was no answer

nope, they are closed at the request of the MN governor.

They have a small stockpile of furnaces available and ready to go as soon as they are allowed to re-open.

Is lamppa open right now? I tried calling them to get info about their furnace and there was no answer
Maybe closed for Good Friday? Try emailing, or contact via their Facebook page...someone usually gets back to you pretty quickly...
Edit: oops, I see this has been answered...I thought they were still open...I would be a little surprised if they don't answer email or FB though...

Maybe closed for Good Friday? Try emailing, or contact via their Facebook page...someone usually gets back to you pretty quickly...
Edit: oops, I see this has been answered...I thought they were still open...

What you will get as an auto-reply when you shoot them an email:

**We are TEMPORARY closed at the request of the Minnesota Governor due to the Coronavirus. In the event of an emergency, we will attempt to monitor our e-mail and respond as needed. We were able to build up a small stock and should be able to get orders out the door fairly soon upon reopening. Thanks, and stay safe!

Reactions: brenndatomu
What do you want to know? You have at least 3 VF 100 owners replied on this thread so far...

Reactions: JRHAWK9
What do you want to know? You have at least 3 VF 100 owners replied on this thread so far...

Well from what I read about them do they really work as well as they say? No creosote and long burn times? Also is the VF100 to large for my 2000sq ? And want to know if their furnace will work with my application. I have a furnace room off my garage and it ducts into the house from there my

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 161

tell ya what. I'll give ya $500 if you return your HM2 and purchase a new Hy-C product. You get to keep that $500 if you keep the Hy-C product installed and in use for 5 years straight. I miss all the Hy-C drama (at others expense) and willing to put up $500 to get some of that "excitement" back in the forum. ;lol

Those in the know know their certification was "in paper only" and how it will not truly pass the test how the test was required to be administered as. They passed simply because they were given a variance and that variance made the hardest part and the most important part of the test non-existant.

Last edited: