Wood Haulers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my yard trailer. I load this and leave it by the rear door in the heating season. I paid $35 for basically the frame. I put new 2x6 boards on it and $20 wheels. The sides I modified from something I found in a friends junk pile. I love junk piles.
The blue tarp in front gets pulled over the top to protect from the weather. I designed it from dump trucks I've seen with this type of covering.

Attachments

• wood trailer.jpg
    wood trailer.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,018
LLigetfa said:
I was thinking of getting a HF trailer like quads has so I can haul more.
I think they are $130 now, in the last Harbor Freight ad I saw. Mine is the one with the smaller 8" wheels. It rides closer to level behind the ATV than the model with 12" wheels.

gzecc said:
Flatbed, those are some monster splits, I thought I split big!

I actually split pretty small for the Fireview. The stack on the right of the picture is wood that I scrounged. I either half or quarter the rounds to make them easier to lift onto the truck. I split them down smaller in the driveway and then wheelbarrow them to the stack in the back yard.

gzecc said:
"Bought this trailer for $500 and put $500 in to it. It hauls 1.3 cords at a pop. No weight on the truck because that is a 10’ tongue"
Woods man, What do you mean there is no weight on the truck because its a 10' tongue?
The trailer is 22' long in total. The box is 10x6. The 12' lever is so long that the vast majority of the weight is on the trailer, not my truck. The springs on the rear of my truck don't even compress when this is fully loaded.

jcjohnston said:
hey sublime love the thrush trophy rack in the background, brought back memories of being 16 first week of my driver license and Dad gave me a 70 Pontiac which I cut off a new exhaust on and bolted up the thrush

thanks,
here's a Pic' of the display when I first made it.

Got them at a car show/swap meet which was a all weekend long camping/party for me and I had imparied judgement and $$$ in my pocket. Long story short I now have a Thrush Display window. LOL
5347330124_large.jpg

Woodsman_WI said:
Bought this trailer for $500 and put $500 in to it. It hauls 1.3 cords at a pop. No weight on the truck because that is a 10' tongue!

I wish I had a 10' tounge......

I'd be retired by now!

P10100112-1.gif

P10100072-1.gif

Werm said:
Woodsman_WI said:
Bought this trailer for $500 and put $500 in to it. It hauls 1.3 cords at a pop. No weight on the truck because that is a 10' tongue!

I wish I had a 10' tounge......

I'd be retired by now!
I don't care who you are, that's funny! - Larry The Cable Guy

Elderwelder, is that a lift gate? Otherwise I cannot imagine how you got those logs loaded. Handy having a lift gate, for sure.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Elderwelder, is that a lift gate? Otherwise I cannot imagine how you got those logs loaded. Handy having a lift gate, for sure.

Yeah, what he said. That is a pretty impressive load on a not so big truck. How did the breaks work?

Yeah....... that is a lift gate, comes in real handy. That was a C/L scrounge of a huge fir tree that a tree service took down,I took 4 loads to my house and 2 loads to my friends house, plus he took 2 loads with his F150.

Brakes worked fine, but made sure I gave myself plenty of distance from traffic in front of me. Guy in a lifted F350 almost broke his neck doing a double take when he saw this little Toyota hauling this load. He caught up to me at the stop light and told me how impressed he was and how smoothly I was cruising down the road, Than asked me if the truck was for sale and how much I wanted for it, I told him he could not afford it, ( I was being sarcastic)

Toyota sold these 1 Ton dually cab and chassis from 84-88 in a 4 cylinder models and RV company's built them into motor homes, or some people bought them right off the lot and put a flatbed on them, in 90-91 they put a 6 cylinder in them and U-Haul used them for moving truck rentals. That 6 cylinder was a piece o crap and most people these day's look for them with the 4. Mine has got the 4 (22re) has a rod knock in it, so will need rebuilt or replaced soon

I remember when those were new. I just saw a Uhaul one today on the way to work. Just shows that you don't need a monster several $1,000 diesel in a light truck.

My 91 and 96 dodge diesels. The 96 has seen a hard life but she still hauls with the best of em haha.

91.jpg

bloomsburg06%20001.jpg

Swamped.jpg

Wood%20042.jpg

Yeah….... that is a lift gate, comes in real handy. That was a C/L scrounge of a huge fir tree that a tree service took down,I took 4 loads to my house and 2 loads to my friends house, plus he took 2 loads with his F150.

Elder, that is an impressive load. Was the fir alive? If so, those big rounds can weigh a lot. Even with the lift-gate, moving those rounds is a bit hairy. If one decides to lay over on it's side, you need to move quickly. I will be noodling my way through our pile again today.

BeGreen said:
Yeah….... that is a lift gate, comes in real handy. That was a C/L scrounge of a huge fir tree that a tree service took down,I took 4 loads to my house and 2 loads to my friends house, plus he took 2 loads with his F150.

Elder, that is an impressive load. Was the fir alive? If so, those big rounds can weigh a lot. Even with the lift-gate, moving those rounds is a bit hairy. If one decides to lay over on it's side, you need to move quickly. I will be noodling my way through our pile again today.

Yes, it was a live Doug Fir / and those were some heavy rounds, that load shown was the base of the tree, had to half 2 of the rounds as they were too big to move even though I could park the truck real close, the 2 I half-ed are laying in back of bed next to lift gate. For reference the distance from the top of the bed to the top of the cab is 30", as you can see a couple go above the cab, the ones I half-ed were about 35"-36". There was no doubt I was over loaded, if you look close my leaf springs were flattened out and i was dragging the mud flaps on that trip

Here are a couple of my wood haulers , I have several trailers and use them all .

Attachments

• Log pile Boxelder Silver maple.jpg
    Log pile Boxelder Silver maple.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,056
  • 4 wheeler with 4wheel trailer.jpg
    4 wheeler with 4wheel trailer.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,055
  • PB070002.jpg
    PB070002.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,059
I can haul about 3/4 cord in my 8' trailer and at times throw more in the back of the truck.

Attachments

• red oak.jpg
    red oak.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 000_0093.jpg
    000_0093.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,012
awesome pictures guys. it is interesting to see what everyone uses to get the wood to the lot. obviously there is not any best way to do it, and many have invented/modified their own trailers. :coolgrin:

One of my trailer 6x10 bought off CL for $200 -needed new wood and lights.

Attachments

• 6x10 land trailer.jpg
    6x10 land trailer.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 929
Latest addition to the wood hauler fleet. My '68 Cub Cadet 125 and Craftsman dump cart.
0612101239a.jpg

Just a modest work van, but it's what I've got , and it gets the job done.
dscf0006-0a.jpg

It's a 95 Chevy 1-ton, and it spent its early years as a plumber's van.
It has the heavy duty suspension, and it barely squats with nearly a
cord loaded. A little more hassle to load and unload compared with
a pickup truck, but still very usable. Packed to the roof would be about
a cord- I usually carry between 0.5 to 0.8 cord at a time, plus the
wheelbarrow and all my gear. Dual side cargo doors help a lot.

Am I the only one that loads a Quad up this way to haul some wood? Around here I have found this the most reliable, the hills are a killer and my trailer could not handle it. This keeps the weight over my tires.

Attachments

• quadload.jpg
    quadload.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 728
Kinda funny to watch these type of threads turn up each year. Here are the same pictures I've posted the last 2 years, I think. ;-)

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

Unfortunately, the wagon doesn't look nearly that good anymore. :roll:

Truck, trailer and a JD cart to move wood around the yard.

Attachments

• P3270010.jpg
    P3270010.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 679
  • P3270012.jpg
    P3270012.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 680
  • P7270136.jpg
    P7270136.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 713
Status
Not open for further replies.