Wood Hauling wagon Skis?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DouglasB12

Jan 19, 2020
Minnesota
Sorry for the confusing title. I haul wood behind my 4 wheeler in a Polar 1500HD. (It is actually an excellent trailer) I have not tried using it to haul a load of wood through deep snow yet though. It does hold about 1/3 of a cord at a time. I've been trying to think of some way to build skis for it. One of the most promising ideas I've come up with is to use the hood off an old pick up. Smooth surface along with a nice curve at the front. Has anyone else built something to turn their wheeled cart into a sled? I did put the ATV tracks on my 4 wheeler this year and have been impressed with them so far.

Google smitty sled for or ideas. We use them for ice fishing. For 1/3 of a cord, you'd need different skis, but it shouldn't be too hard to make and cover runners.

I get some thrift store skis, remove the bindings. Screw some chocks down front and back of the tire with a ratchet strap underneath. Drive the trailer up on the skis and strap her down. Best case is it works great and worse case your out $5 for a set of skis. My ice fishing trailer has xc skis. Just counter sink the bolt holes on the bottom and it works great.

I would even consider buying 2 sets that are similar length. You can run the chock across 2 skis on each side and leave a 2-3" gap to run the strap through.

Now that cool, tracks for the ATV. Mine with wheels stands still in 5 inches of snow. So I think big wide skis for the trailer will work better than small wheels. But even tracks need to get bigger as the snow gets softer and deeper.

Now that cool, tracks for the ATV. Mine with wheels stands still in 5 inches of snow. So I think big wide skis for the trailer will work better than small wheels. But even tracks need to get bigger as the snow gets softer and deeper.
They work great on ATV and you'd be amazed at the snow depth they can handle. They work good on UTVs but you need to carry extra belts. All that traction and weight is hard on equipment. Have yet to break an atv belt but we go through several a year on the utv.

Probably too late for this year, but what about skis like they put on bush planes? Looks like similar tires on the trailer - maybe able to drive onto the skis, strap them to the wheels, and pull away.

There are kits out there that replace the front tires on ATVs with skis, you could probably adapt that to your trailer. Another option is something like the ski kit for the Rescraft Bush Burro trailer (shown below). Personally, I pull an Otter Magnum sled behind both the ATV and the snowmobile during the winter. Holds a lot and to me is easier than dealing with skis on a trailer.

Attachments

• 13243083.jpg
    13243083.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 259