Wood i.d. Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
Hwy. dept. cut these near my farm. What wood is this? Good firewood? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 500
First thought is maple.

Reactions: coutufr
What's the diameter of those rounds? Looks like it's a very fast growing tree by looking at growth rings.
Rounds are 4 to 8 inches. I know it's not oak, black walnut, cherry, red elm. It's a heavy wood like oak though,

It looks like a variety of oak that I have burned a lot of in the past off our property. My dad used to call it scrub oak but I think it was Northern Pin or Jack Oak after I did some research. Similar to red oak but a little less dense. Trees seldom got over 30’ tall and 12” diameter with lots of branches. They were a pain to process for the amount of wood I got so I stopped cutting them but they’re dead all over there. They grow at the edge of the mature oak stand and seem to grow and fill in very fast after oak wilt started taking out the big reds and the canopy opened up. Very wide growth rings just like that and the bark looks just like it too. That’s my guess.

It looks like a variety of oak that I have burned a lot of in the past off our property. My dad used to call it scrub oak but I think it was Northern Pin or Jack Oak after I did some research. Similar to red oak but a little less dense. Trees seldom got over 30’ tall and 12” diameter with lots of branches. They were a pain to process for the amount of wood I got so I stopped cutting them but they’re dead all over there. They grow at the edge of the mature oak stand and seem to grow and fill in very fast after oak wilt started taking out the big reds and the canopy opened up. Very wide growth rings just like that and the bark looks just like it too. That’s my guess.
Thanks to everyone. It's a heavy wood like oak and it smells somewhat like red oak. Not elm. It's a hardwood. It splits somewhat stringy. I will
Look up the different types of Oak and maples.

Reactions: Slocum
Anyone else think it could be honey locust? That's what came to mind. Locust seems to have large growth rings but it still very hard.
Honey locust? I cut it up and took it all home. About a facecord all total. It won't be wasted.

locust

My vote is also locust. Not sure about the salmon pink coloration, but I have seen it age to a yellow/brown hue.

Dont think its locust, looks like some type of oak, probably pin.

Reactions: Eureka
If not honey locust it's more likely black locust. They are loaded by the highways here in NY. In late May or June the white flowers will be all over. I guess they tolerate the poor air/soil quality and are invasive. It has that yellow/gray coloration, large contrasted growth rings, strong odor and stringy. I've seen some others post juvenile BL that has similar bark and doesn't always get deep furrows.

Doesn't pin oak have medullary rays like other red oak species? I don't see any in those pics.

If not honey locust it's more likely black locust. They are loaded by the highways here in NY. In late May or June the white flowers will be all over. I guess they tolerate the poor air/soil quality and are invasive. It has that yellow/gray coloration, large contrasted growth rings, strong odor and stringy. I've seen some others post juvenile BL that has similar bark and doesn't always get deep furrows.

Doesn't pin oak have medullary rays like other red oak species? I don't see any in those pics.
Black locust has deep furrowed bark so it's not that, I can spot that a mile away since I'm always on the lookout for it. You may be right about oak so I'd toss out locust and oak in that case.

Whatever it is, I have a pile of rounds of it too. About 18" dia. It was a log the neighbor gave me with some ash and maple. I'm not bad at tree ID, but without leaves, its more difficult on this one. I can't even get the needle wedge into it. Going to let it sit a few months and rent a splitter to get into some of the larger rounds I have.