Wood ID and best way to get at it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gleblanc1783

Dec 12, 2013
NH
Hi all, long time reader and not-so-frequent poster.

Going on my second year of burning wood, burned pellets before that. I have all my wood set for this upcoming winter, working on next year's now. Recently had a tree company take care of some overhanging trees and took down a few for us (Seacoast, NH).

I just wanted to get a quick ID of the type of wood I have here (thinking Maple and Oak) and what is the best way to cut all of that without breaking my back? I started to cut a few on the ground, up a few inches on some 2x's but that was pretty miserable. Should I make a pile of 4' lengths and start cutting?

Thanks all!

sZxJWSu.jpg
s2HEemGl.jpg
4lnvtyrl.jpg
wltBkKjl.jpg

Hi all, long time reader and not-so-frequent poster.

Going on my second year of burning wood, burned pellets before that. I have all my wood set for this upcoming winter, working on next year's now. Recently had a tree company take care of some overhanging trees and took down a few for us (Seacoast, NH).

I just wanted to get a quick ID of the type of wood I have here (thinking Maple and Oak) and what is the best way to cut all of that without breaking my back? I started to cut a few on the ground, up a few inches on some 2x's but that was pretty miserable. Should I make a pile of 4' lengths and start cutting?

Thanks all!

View attachment 179011
View attachment 179012
View attachment 179013
View attachment 179014

I do better with identifying trees by leafs . . . but yes . . . from what I can see of the leafs in the picture and wood . . . it looks like some oak and possibly maple . . . and definitely a cat . . . I am about 95% sure on the cat identification -- although there is a 5% chance it could be a very homely looking dog.

Can't help you with the cutting question . . . I tend to either cut where the tree falls (remembering proper ergonomics to minimize back strain and taking frequent breaks) . . . or if I'm hauling wood from somewhere I'll often have it bucked up in longer lengths and then cut it to size in a pile.

I do better with identifying trees by leafs . . . but yes . . . from what I can see of the leafs in the picture and wood . . . it looks like some oak and possibly maple . . . and definitely a cat . . . I am about 95% sure on the cat identification -- although there is a 5% chance it could be a very homely looking dog.

Can't help you with the cutting question . . . I tend to either cut where the tree falls (remembering proper ergonomics to minimize back strain and taking frequent breaks) . . . or if I'm hauling wood from somewhere I'll often have it bucked up in longer lengths and then cut it to size in a pile.

==c yes, that is a cat, barely. Thanks for the info too - it looks like the easier ID of wood is by the leaf that the tree produces. (I need to get more into that).

As far as the cutting goes, I might just attempt to cut it where it lays when I'm about to split it and wheel barrow the rounds over to the splitter. I doubt I can move some of those big ones by myself.

Looks like red oak, and the last picture looks a bit like a birch. Cant tell from far away, but if you smell it, does it smell of wintergreen?

Yeah, sorry about the terrible picture, but I think that is a birch, you're right.

==c yes, that is a cat, barely. Thanks for the info too - it looks like the easier ID of wood is by the leaf that the tree produces. (I need to get more into that).

As far as the cutting goes, I might just attempt to cut it where it lays when I'm about to split it and wheel barrow the rounds over to the splitter. I doubt I can move some of those big ones by myself.

Yeah, sorry about the terrible picture, but I think that is a birch, you're right.

No worries. here are a couple photos of splits I have to compare to what you have.

Red Oak:
B2BDBD08-4D1C-4F97-894E-210E54E13048_zpsxukcayha.jpg

Sugar Maple:
C40AE532-8504-439A-A9D8-BFDD03CD5FDE_zps4uhtvv2b.jpg

Black Birch:
FE0A1EDD-8BE5-43B2-A7FA-25A853D02380_zpszczp4d9t.jpg

06E47A58-7369-4DAF-B46D-FF82B864DA1C_zpsmih2gaqx.jpg

Reactions: Lakeside
definitely a cat . . . I am about 95% sure on the cat identification -- although there is a 5% chance it could be a very homely looking dog.
It is a cat ... maybe a calico but would have to see the front side to be sure.:) Oak but not sure on the last photo. Most of the maple I've seen is lighter in bark colour and no close-up of leaves to assist with ID.

I have seen some folks use cutting bunks for lighter stuff. For the rest, go slow and take breaks to move those back muscles!

Reactions: Fred Wright
If the log is stable and flat, I don't have an issue with planting one knee in the dirt to keep me low and stable. Cut 9/10th of the way through the log and move to the next cut. After final cut, roll the log 180 deg and nip that last 1/10th remaining.

It is a cat ... maybe a calico but would have to see the front side to be sure.:) Oak but not sure on the last photo. Most of the maple I've seen is lighter in bark colour and no close-up of leaves to assist with ID.

I have seen some folks use cutting bunks for lighter stuff. For the rest, go slow and take breaks to move those back muscles!

Haha - calico is correct. I can head out and get some leaves as most of the trees are still standing on the property.

If the log is stable and flat, I don't have an issue with planting one knee in the dirt to keep me low and stable. Cut 9/10th of the way through the log and move to the next cut. After final cut, roll the log 180 deg and nip that last 1/10th remaining.

Good idea -- keeps the saw out of the dirt.

Wait a sec, so how does a cat help the wood to burn better? I don't get that...and someone is going to have to explain that one to me.
:) ;) :p :confused: :confused: :p ;) :)

how does a cat help the wood to burn better
We were put on this earth to see to the whims and desires of the cat ... the hired help if you will. As such we have to provide food, water and warmth ... an occasional toy would be nice. We humans have to figure out the best way to burn that wood to serve our feline masters;lol;lol

PS I do actually have one cat that comes when I call ... if he wants his warm spot at the end of the bed at night;)

Status
Not open for further replies.