Wood ID - Elm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bens_igloo

Jan 9, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I picked up some firewood a few weeks ago, and I think it's elm, except for the fact that I didn't have a hard time splitting it at all. Now, I didn't have any huge logs, but even up to a 12 inch diameter they all split with one or two hits.

Here are a couple of photos. The wood has a distinctive smell and is very stringy/fibrous. Heartwood is definitely darker than the sapwood but not as dark as say, walnut.

So, elm? Or do I have it wrong?
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

Red elm and Siberian elm tend to split easily. American elm, on the other hand....

I also think it is Elm, but I think it is American Elm. Not all American Elms are hard to split. The dark heartwood seems more like American Elm than Red Elm, but I don't cut much elm and especially not much Red Elm.

The way I learned telling between red and american is all in the bark. Take a small piece and snap it in half. If it is all red then its red elm. If it has a oreo cookie pattern than its american elm. Something to think of in the future :)

Which one has higher BTUs? Red or American?
I see American listed a lot at 19.5, Red at 21.6. I like burning the Red. I've got one out there waiting that is about 19", biggest I've seen so far. The Dutch Elm usually gets 'em before they get real big....

It's rock elm.

It's rock elm.
Well, I was thinking the bark didn't quite look like the Red I've seen here, but bark can vary. The wood didn't look very stringy either, and the color didn't look rosy enough. Pics can lie, though.... Natural range shows ON.
I think Rock Elm is a BTU bonanza, though I'm not seeing any consistency on the few BTU charts I can find.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.