Wood ID Help as well

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamori

Oct 28, 2008
Wisconsin
i will try to take a picture or two of a tree I cut that has been down for some time. It is VERY yellow in the middle and especially noticable after it is split. Now I know this tree has been down for at least a year and it is VERY heavy. Do you know what wood this may be? Thank you.

shot in the dark-black locust or elm

Osage Orange will be yellowish when first split then turn dark orange as it ages,it is one of our denser (heavier)domestic hardwoods ,does the branches have thorns and does it have a green fruit the size of an orange.

Osage is the densest N American wood, and it is yellow in the middle. It can be anywhere from very yellow to orange with red streaks. It will turn brown with age/exposure. Locust is a very pale color compared to osage (also called hedge, hedge apple, boi d' arc, bodark, and a few other things).

Well here are a couple pictures. It does look a lot like the Mulberry that you had a link for, but man, I never knew that Mulberry trees got this big. Let me know if you have any more thoughts based on these pictures. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 321
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 321
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 320
Kamori said:
Well here are a couple pictures. It does look a lot like the Mulberry that you had a link for, but man, I never knew that Mulberry trees got this big. Let me know if you have any more thoughts based on these pictures. Thanks again.

some of the base rounds i have from the mulberry tree are a good 18-20 inches round. it does look a lot like the stuff i picked up.

webby3650 said:
Woodford said:
honey locust
Honey Locust has large thorns, Black Locust maybe but it looks like mulberry to me.
A honey locust will loose most of it's lower thorns as it gets older.
Bark looks too furrowed to me for mulberry. It's possible that it is though. Especially with that funcky looking crotch. Mulberries grow that way. So do Osage, but that's definitely not Osage.

Status
Not open for further replies.