Wood ID help - three trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DiBurn90

Jan 6, 2021
Chillicothe, Ohio
Found a guy with a lot of blow downs from a storm last year that was looking to get the trees cleared off his property. Was able to get a good variety of trees but I'm not sure what several of them are. Have gotten a few of them split and wanted to see if people may be able to help with what they are. No leaves on them since they had been down a while, any ideas would be appreciated.

First one had a little bit of a spice smell to it when cutting and splitting it. Guy on site said he thought it was maybe some kind of chestnut?

PXL_20221229_200436372.jpg

Second one is pretty light, thinking maybe something like basswood maybe?
PXL_20221228_203806683.jpg

Third one is also pretty lite, the wood has a yellower heartwood and some purple streaks in some splits that aren't really visible in the pictures. Two pictures on this one as I didn't realize I didn't take one with both the bark and split showing.

PXL_20221228_202043386.jpg

PXL_20221228_201003468.jpg

I'll take a stab:
1) Kentucky coffeetree
2) Tilia - basswood/ little-leaf linden
3) tulip-poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera)

Reactions: DiBurn90
I'll go with Tulip on 3 as well, but I'm not familiar with the other two.
That Tulip bark is a little different than what I see here, where it can look very similar to White Ash.

1st is cherry. At least one of the types we have here. Dunno wich species of cherry. 2nd I know if split before but don't know type possible ash? 3rd is tulip poplar

Cherry on #1 I agree. The reference to purple for #3 has me trying to recall what that is as I have seen it before, some sort of soft maple?? #2 Basswood would (no pun) be my best guess…

1st cherry, 3rd poplar, 2nd look like its painted gray.

I'll take a stab:
1) Kentucky coffeetree
2) Tilia - basswood/ little-leaf linden
3) tulip-poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera)
Thanks I was kind of thinking it was similar to the other poplar I have that was taken down live but the bark was different so I wasn't sure. I know there's a few species of poplar.

Cherry on #1 I agree. The reference to purple for #3 has me trying to recall what that is as I have seen it before, some sort of soft maple?? #2 Basswood would (no pun) be my best guess…
Thanks, yeah I know I have seen the reference to purple on here before, but couldn't remember if it was specific to the species or not.

Basswood. 13.8 million BTU/cord
And poplar? Liebe Gott, no wonder he gave the wood away.

Basswood. 13.8 million BTU/cord
And poplar? Liebe Gott, no wonder he gave the wood away.
Not the best wood I know but I like to have some low BTU stuff in the stacks for burning coals down and for shoulder season. The other loads I got were a lot of hickory and oak. He said he had probably ~100 trees come down and had already had loggers come and take when he could get paid for, place was a mess honestly. Was right off the drive way with some of it already cut to get to better stuff so I grabbed it, wouldn't have got out of my way for it though.