wood id help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiojoe13

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2014
alliance ohio
Picked this stuff up yesterday. I'm still new to the wood id stuff any help would be great.

Attachments

• 20150117_094143.jpg
    20150117_094143.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 20150117_094136.jpg
    20150117_094136.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 212
Bad pics, but looks like silver maple (maybe shagbark hicory) and cherry?

Reactions: D8Chumley
Sorry for the bad pictures. Idk why they always get loaded sideways. I'll try to take some better pictures later.
For better quality results, make fresh cuts and split a few, so we can see the fresh interior and fresh cut rings.

looks like a smorgasbord. I see cherry, silver maple, maybe a piece of ash in the back, at leas 1 o 2 others I cant' identify, and the snowy one in the 2nd pic looks like white pine.

Reactions: nrford
Pete has your answers.

Cherry, silver maple and I can't tell what else.

Does look like some shagbark in there

I see some long sections of Black Cherry (with the fungus on it), I think some rounds of White Oak (the large round in the middle of the truck bed), and a few others, perhaps maple.

Cherry, maple,oak,maybe hickory as gzecc said cut the ends or maybe show a split of each species to Id for sure

Cherry - burns hot and fast.

I'm planning on cutting this one down. I think it's cherry. Can someone confirm that?
Cherry, eh, so-so. Medium to high fast heat, not the longest burner, not the shortest, leaves a shatload of ashes.

Cherry, eh, so-so. Medium to high fast heat, not the longest burner, not the shortest, leaves a shatload of ashes.
Is it worth cutting and splitting. I don't have a hole lot of time to get ready for next year and this one is on my property. I still haven't bought a stove yet. I want to make sure I have enough wood first. Would this cherry be ready by November?

Yes, it is worth it.
November? Depends on how small/large you split it, but prolly not as dry as could be.
Good shoulder season wood, I used it for shoulder season and milder daytime loads. I stick with Oak for my overnight burns.
Not a bad wood at all, worth it if you have it.

Black Cherry is higher than Elm. 20million BTUs, I believe. Seasons in a summer. I split a half cord in May, and was getting 14-15% in December. It's not oak or beech, but when it's 25 and not 5 degrees out, it burns hot and gives you some decent coals. I'm a fan.

Is it worth cutting and splitting. I don't have a hole lot of time to get ready for next year and this one is on my property. I still haven't bought a stove yet. I want to make sure I have enough wood first. Would this cherry be ready by November?

You split it now, it will 100% be ready by next November. See my post above.

Also, it splits easy. Processing is not difficult. And it will help you save your higher quality wood for when you really need a long overnight burn,

Status
Not open for further replies.