Wood ID: Hickory or Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
I have this one random log in my latest delivery that I haven't really seen before. I'm thinking it might be hickory or ash? Very distinct bark. I've never processed hickory before and all the ash I've ever processed was long standing dead or young so the bark either wasn't there or immature. My guess is ash based on the grain.

The rest of the load is the usual suspect: red maple, red oak, and black cherry. 👍

PXL_20230109_204025583.jpg

PXL_20230109_204019405.jpg

PXL_20230109_145228931.jpg
PXL_20230109_211541329.jpg

Last edited:
The thickest heaviest bark is black locust.

Reactions: Stinkpickle
I think you're all correct having researched it myself now, too. I've read so much about black locust on this site I'm excited to have some. Too bad it's only one log!

The bigger question was how did it get here? I don't believe that locust is native to this area.
I live in Central MA and get my wood hyper locally from a tree guy. It's all from literally within 20 minutes of my house.

It looks like it's considered invasive in Massachusetts but it definitely exists here. I've seen very few in the wild in my woods. It must have been planted ornamentally.

I think you're all correct having researched it myself now, too. I've read so much about black locust on this site I'm excited to have some. Too bad it's only one log!

The bigger question was how did it get here? I don't believe that locust is native to this area.
I live in Central MA and get my wood hyper locally from a tree guy. It's all from literally within 20 minutes of my house.
Stack it away somewhere and forget about it for a few years. Takes FOREVER to season in my experience. Another reason I don't drool over oak. Ain't nobody got time to wait for it dry! At least me anyway Lol.

Reactions: Vg3200p
Stack it away somewhere and forget about it for a few years. Takes FOREVER to season in my experience. Another reason I don't drool over oak. Ain't nobody got time to wait for it dry! At least me anyway.
Not an issue for me. I'm on a 3 year cycle so it'll have plenty of time. 👍

Clip off a palm sized piece of bark and burn it, smell the smoke.... If it stinks like burning protein, it's locust.

Reactions: bigealta
Split some very big for the coldest over nights. They will be ready in two yrs IMO.

My yard is prime drying territory. Faces the afternoon sun and gets hit with the prevailing wind. I can season anything in 2 years but I like to give it 3 for that little bit extra. I'd go to a 4 yard rotation but space is limited right now and 12 cords is about my max.

Since lumber is still expensive I might make a pallet shed to add more space. I can get infinite quality 48x40 pallets around here for free. Can use scrap wood to connect it all together. Only $ will be roofing. It'll be a fun summer project if I can get to it.

If you need a fence post that's your wood, Locust poles around here last for decades.

Currently working up two large locust trees to build up my supply. When splitting it will have a distinctive smell. I did some full width quarter wide splits for end stacking - just an experiment. Color and appearance seem to match the log in question. BF0B5331-F12D-4037-9700-DE7B339A2D65.jpeg

Not BL we have here in NJ. Bark is wrong. Maybe Honey? **Referring to stove cricket pics**

Last edited:
When splitting it you can smell a barn yard . I refer to it as " concrete curbing " as it's so tight grained and dense. Since it's so dense it can take a little while to combust so you may encounter a fair amount of smoke inside your stove before you see it burst into flames! So make sure you have a good bed of orange burning embers when you put a locust log on them.

Before reading any replies I said "locust."
Merry Christmas that is great firewood.

Not BL we have here in NJ. Bark is wrong. Maybe Honey? **Referring to stove cricket pics**
Could be…? There are several variations of locust in the creek bottom here. Some thorny, some not. Some with heavy bark, some with not. I ended up on BL as an ID, based on the inclusions, the “did I just step in something” odor, and the character of the wood.

Currently working up two large locust trees to build up my supply. When splitting it will have a distinctive smell. I did some full width quarter wide splits for end stacking - just an experiment. Color and appearance seem to match the log in question. View attachment 307426
That doesn't look like any locust I've seen, bark is too smooth.

That doesn't look like any locust I've seen, bark is too smooth.
From memory the leaf bracket’s are definitely locust. A primary distinguishing characteristic are the flowers. I’ll snap a picture this spring and post it up - as there are several identical species in the area of the tree pictured, but I can’t remember the flowers. I think there can be a variability in the locust bark and thornage, which leads to widespread identification issues.

For 28 years I raised up a thornless seedless honey locust culti-var that my kid brought home from school as a sprig. But here in the wild (our new place…where we burn wood) all honey locust is heavily thorned.