Autumn Score + Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
With the crazy warm weather we are having here I decided to take down an old standing dead tree on the side of my property. Its been dead quite a while from extensive insect damage and I was worried it would hit my deck in a bad storm. It was a very straight tree but the bottom 8 feet of the trunk was this janky S shape. I was a little nervous but we got it down. I wasn't expecting to be able to salvage much but I was pleasantly surprised with the quality:

20201107_153634~2.jpg

20201107_153703.jpg

20201107_153644.jpg

I was expecting a lot more rot but most of the tree was salvageable. We had some immediate family over for an impromptu socially distant fire pit splitting session. I threw in some uglies/rotten pieces and we got to work:

20201107_192340.jpg

20201107_192627.jpg

And the most beautiful part of all:

20201107_165202.jpg

!!!!!!!!!:cool::cool::cool:

My Osburn 1600 is kicking her lips.

So my original thought was ash based on the insect damage, the way the bark looked, and the grain looked. When I was felling and bucking it ate my freshly sharpened chain for breakfast...it was very hard. I thought it had a slight tinge to the sawdust. Splitting it was incredibly easy.

I have both Oak and Ash on my property near where this tree was. It was so long dead I have no branches or leaves left to help. What do you think it is?

My final guess is Ash but either answer is great news :)

Last edited:
I think it is ash.

I second the ash.. the size of the holes looks like EAB.. zip could be wrong.. Im not an expert..

We definitely have EAB here. The county to our west has a wood transport restriction. I cannot take wood from my sisters house (two towns over) to my house because of it. I actually think it's more because of ALB to protect maples but it exists. Thats why I was thinking ash before I even cut it down. Sadly there are sots of dying ash trees when you drive around if you look closely.

I also don't think I've ever seen an oak tree with insect damage. We have gypsy moths sometimes but they eat the leaves not the wood.

Last edited:
Looks like ash to me. My neighbor and I just took a dead one down in his yard and split it right away and it was the same! All under 20%.

I just got some ash - and that wood looks the same.

Agree with ash.

Seasoned wood is harder and will eat chains faster than green wood. I have ash tree's that the 8" dry branches take almost as long to go through as the 16" wet trunk. I find branches that are under 20% yet the trunk is 35%... Logically usually progressively getting wetter the closer to the trunk I get.

20201108_122939.jpg

With all this new ready to go ash I decided to redo one of my stacks. Took off the poplar to get the ash and some other maple/oak I have on the bottom. Ill plow through the poplar first before getting to the good stuff. Kind of a pain but I prefer being organized and able to get what I want easily rather then fishing in the winter.

Also the wife says I'm not allowed any more stacks lol. I have 7 cords in our back yard already! ::-)

Don't know how old/dry the oak and maple are, but remember hard maple is 2 yrs drying time and oak is 3 yrs (both depending upon conditions...). I struggled with some less than ideal hard maple end of season last year. Nothing like iffy ash which will burn & heat ok if not perfectly seasoned.

That's what my girlfriend keeps telling me. "But, we don't need another wood pile."

We always need more wood!

Don't know how old/dry the oak and maple are, but remember hard maple is 2 yrs drying time and oak is 3 yrs (both depending upon conditions...). I struggled with some less than ideal hard maple end of season last year. Nothing like iffy ash which will burn & heat ok if not perfectly seasoned.

Agreed. Ive got 1 cord of 15% maple, 1.5 cords of mixed oak, cherry, and ash thats all sub 20% then half a cord of questionable ash thats 23% ish now. If I have to dip into that in February it'll be fine. Our house is small and well insulated so 2-3 cords should be enough. The rest of my stash is all red/white oak for next year. ==c

I managed to finish stacking it after doing leaves and mowing the lawn! Wife said I had to finish the yard first lol:

20201108_142937.jpg

Bottom left: red oak
Bottom right: hard maple
Middle: ash
Top: Poplar splits, rounds, and uglies.

This stack was the final one prepped for the year so it's kind of a smorgasbord.

Reactions: wooddope