Another wood ID post!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EvertonPete

Jan 14, 2021
Kentucky
68B54BAA-1385-42AE-B5A8-5A30AB503C2B.jpeg
C6DEA575-8B30-4DDA-977B-B79334C44158.jpeg
A9969AE1-E71B-4B7F-A75E-B89524CBD1D9.jpeg

What have I got here?? The winds took down this standing dead tree in one of my pastures in Central Kentucky. I just got around to cutting it, and had expected it to be rotten but it seems solid. Seems pretty light, I guess it’s well dried out.
Not sure if this belongs in the woodpile to split, or the burn pile in the back. I burn in a BK Princess in the house.

So the tree looks to me like it had something else growing on its side that kind of melded in with the trunk. Which is why I wonder about the bark seeming weird in places. It took some other tree limbs down with it as well.
I think in the twigs I see leaf scars from a walnut and bark looks correct.
This thing has been dead since we bought the property 3 years ago. So I guess that means well seasoned which I’m told is a must for walnut. Slight rot on bark edge but most seems fine. Thinking I may be keeping and splitting this. Thank you for the assistance.
90FA21AB-0B46-4C3E-8F12-02D67C4136E2.jpeg

44ECBEF3-4E23-4195-8FC5-497BA9C4B8D7.jpeg

Reactions: patrickk222
That doesn't look like Walnut to me. I second the guess of Red Elm or Red Mulberry.... Leaning strong towards Red Mulberry.

Black Walnut, 100%.
Just because it was dead standing, that's no guarantee it will be dry, and it doesn't appear to be from the pics.
Get the $15 moisture meter from Harbor Fright, split one apart after it's been warm out for a few day, then jab firmly into the center of the freshly-exposed face. That will tell you for sure how wet it is.

Black walnut. I have a bunch that looks exactly like that first pic, and I burned some of it earlier today.
The only BW I've burned so far was from a top that I found in the woods, that was 20 or more years old, so I'm not convinced I got the true measure of that wood.
How does it burn? I've heard various comment such as "makes more ash than some." What did you find? How about heat output?

The only BW I've burned so far was from a top that I found in the woods, that was 20 or more years old, so I'm not convinced I got the true measure of that wood.
How does it burn? I've heard various comment such as "makes more ash than some." What did you find? How about heat output?
Heat wise, I’d say it’s a strong mid level wood. Similar to hackberry. My smoke dragon loves it. It does produce more ash, but most of my splits are covered with thick bark, so I contribute it to that. It smells great, too.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Black Walnut. I burn lots of it. Good firewood. Easy to split.

Walnut has a different smell when you cut it. That does look like walnut and the nuts on the ground are proof of what it is.

I made the summerbeam for my log cabin from black walnut.

IMG_0805.JPG