Wood ID . Is this white ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I've been told it's white ash. Is it?
IMG_0089.JPGIMG_0090.JPGIMG_0091.JPGIMG_0092.JPGIMG_0093.JPGIMG_0094.JPGIMG_0095.JPGIMG_0096.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly, but is an Ash of some sort. Could be Green or Black as well. Next best guess would be Green Ash. Looks like it was standing dead for a while. May not be possible to tell for sure without the leaves.

Reactions: Woody Stover
EAB tree Emerald ASH borer! Definitely an Ash.

Just cut and split a large one of those as well. Probably dead standing for 5-10 years. It was hard as a rock but I think it will make good wood.

Possibly, but is an Ash of some sort. Could be Green or Black as well.
Here's some White I snagged recently..seems to have had a pronounced darker heartwood, although the heart wasn't huge on this yard tree. Bark sure looks like the White I see here, but I don't know how similar Green is. I don't think I've seen Green here, although we are in its range.
20190910_175516.jpg

Looks like white to me.

Green and black ash bark have more of a “scale-like” feature in that it overlaps slightly. White ash has that diamond like pattern to it that you can see in your first photo in the top/mid left. Although the dead give away to white ash is the underside of the leaves, which obviously absent here.

Awesome firewood IMHO. Some of my favorite. Seasons quickly and burns hot.

Looks like white to me...Awesome firewood IMHO. Some of my favorite. Seasons quickly and burns hot.
Even though it is rated very close to Red Oak in BTU, it doesn't seem to burn quite as long, as I remember. It's been a while since I've burned Ash, so I'll have to compare them again. Once the stash of Ash at my SIL's is dry, I'll grab some and do an A/B test..

Even though it is rated very close to Red Oak in BTU, it doesn't seem to burn quite as long, as I remember. It's been a while since I've burned Ash, so I'll have to compare them again. Once the stash of Ash at my SIL's is dry, I'll grab some and do an A/B test..

I would agree with that. It does burn hot, but does not last as long as read oak. Does not coal as well either. I like how lively the flame stays throughout the course of the burn.

We experienced the EAB fairly early as I understand it here in Ohio. My first 4 years of burning, ash was all I could get my hands on. Now, there’s hardly any left, just the live ones that folks decided to treat early enough and they were saved.

I would agree with that. It does burn hot, but does not last as long as read oak. Does not coal as well either.
I guess that accounts for the perceived longer burn with Red Oak..it coals longer.