Wood ID needed in CT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robj80

Burning Hunk
Oct 5, 2018
South West, CT
Anyone know what this is? It has a tight dark bark, it's not too easy to split with the fiskars, has a wavy grain and pink tint on the heart wood. Doesn't smell like much to me. These rounds were very heavy when I first handled them. 5 months or so later still heavy but not nearly as heavy as they were. I'm located in Connecticut.
MVIMG_20200223_140806.jpg

Im thinking red oak....that sap wood looks off color though.
I had red oak before. This is definitely different.

Boxelder.
Poor firewood,but it can be turned in to beautiful boards.
This looks different than Boxelder images i have looked up.

Does anyone else think this could be black cherry? The bark is matching images of black cherry I am finding.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
My vote from here in CT is an Elm species. I currently have wood that is very similar but instead of pinkish it has a yellowish hue.

Black cherry, looks like to me. Usually easy to split, but if the tree was twisted, maybe not.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
That a nice piece of figure wood, a bowl turner would love it

Does anyone else think this could be black cherry? The bark is matching images of black cherry I am finding.

That's definitely black cherry. I cut down a big one last year that was just like that - twisted, real tough to split, and the splits were wavy like that. Funky looking splits.

Last edited:
Reactions: hickoryhoarder
The no smell comment threw me off track I agree looks to be cherry.

This was pretty frozen so maybe that is why I couldn't smell it.

The bark says black cherry to me, but the color is a little light. Maybe that’s just the lighting. Burn a piece, and if the smell makes your mouth water, it’s cherry. ;)

Hard to see in the pic but there is actually frost on it. This thing was frozen solid through. As it thawed the wood became darker. I'm pretty sure it's cherry. It isn't seasoned enough for burning inside but I might toss a piece in the outside fire just so I can smell it. I have never experienced this wonderful scent of burning cherry that everyone describes.

Hard to see in the pic but there is actually frost on it. This thing was frozen solid through. As it thawed the wood became darker. I'm pretty sure it's cherry. It isn't seasoned enough for burning inside but I might toss a piece in the outside fire just so I can smell it. I have never experienced this wonderful scent of burning cherry that everyone describes.
If you whack that split in half you might be able to catch some of that smell now.

The bark says black cherry to me, but the color is a little light. Maybe that’s just the lighting. Burn a piece, and if the smell makes your mouth water, it’s cherry. ;)
Cherry is normally a little darker than that, and a little more orange in the reddish part.