Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get Wood

Nov 23, 2012
Flinton Ontario
I am pretty sure this is Oak I would like to know what kind, red, white etc.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 178
Looks like oak but the proof is usually in the end grain for oak.

I dont think its Oak , to stringy.. looks like a small hickory or ash. How about some leaves or some different pics

Elm mostly -to the right in pic 1, with the layers of different colored wood. Yellow then pale taupes. Ive seen it in Elm that stood dead for a long time.
Nothing looked like oak.

I know what it's not.. Red oak. Not much help. Maybe more pics.

The whitish-looking one almost looks like Silver Maple but I'd have to see the flip-side of it (bark); not sure on the other one either. Can you show the bark side of those two splits please?

one piece of Elm, one piece of Aspen.

I cut this wood early spring before the leaves came out and this summer some oak leaves came up around a couple stumps and I thought that might be the wood. Anyway I took a pic of the end cuts.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 146
I cut this wood early spring before the leaves came out and this summer some oak leaves came up around a couple stumps and I thought that might be the wood. Anyway I took a pic of the end cuts.
Thanks for the help.
Those three photos confirm my call^^^

End grain makes a world of difference.

Yeah, definitely not oak. I think Elm and Aspen are the right answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.