Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
So I finally got most of those trees that were dropped off in my driveway cut to size and have started splitting. All of it has been flying apart, so either I am stronger or more pissed off than usual, or else most of it is more likely ash than Maple? I'm assuming the fantastic smelling reddish stuff on the left is oak. The whiter stuff has 3 different types in terms of bark. Some is all white, and other has a brown spine in the middle.

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 234
You have no less than 3 species. You need to separate them and show bark and wood grain for any help worth a salt.

My low-value opinion is some cherry, maple, and some kind of poplar. Some of the wood looks like hickory grain, which would be nice, but i see no bark.

I see red oak hard maple and some hickory. Ding ding ding.

Reactions: weatherguy
Okay guys, name that wood!

Attachments

• wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 186
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 192
  • wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 176
Huh? Tree of heaven? I always thought Oak was the favorite burning tree. I'm assuming 3 is two different types of Maple, hence the different insides and bark?

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Huh? Tree of heaven? I always thought Oak was the favorite burning tree. I'm assuming 3 is two different types of Maple, hence the different insides and bark?

Technical name is ailanthus. Really should be called tree of hell cause it's not worth fooling with.

You guys are feeding me tidbits. Why is Aspen not worth fooling with? What don't I know?

Tree of Heaven is an oxymoron!!!

You guys are feeding me tidbits. Why is Aspen not worth fooling with? What don't I know?
It's kind of like burning rolled up newspaper. If that's all you have thats what you burn though.

So the stuff that's all white inside is the Aspen? At least it will be good for starting fires and shoulder seasons no? Hell the price was right, so I don't care. I'm getting some nice triceps out of it too.

Ookay, no I'm confused. I just googled Aspen. The bark looks like Birch. This is definitely not Aspen.

Reactions: nrford
Status
Not open for further replies.