Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sirsplittsalot

Nov 30, 2018
Delaplane, VA
13E565D7-93C9-4145-87B3-C49DC17F324E.jpeg
D6308849-E051-41F3-9F49-498B5034CEB2.jpeg
2E690735-E7B0-4151-8DD8-DFA4301F381A.jpeg
3A6506B5-0EE6-4B38-A75E-593884EE69FF.jpeg
Hello all, new member here. Need some help identifying this scrounge score. I think it’s Ash, however after splitting some and looking at the heart wood I’m not so sure.

Attachments

• 4630CCF5-1559-4046-BCC7-8851C5BE3E7F.jpeg
    4630CCF5-1559-4046-BCC7-8851C5BE3E7F.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 113
I'm guessing Red Maple. But could be Hickory. See lots of Oak leaves but I don't think it's an Oak. Picture of a piece split might help. Kevin

Bark looks like the red hickory I have on my property. Though I have not seen the wood grain to compare.

I’ll get ahold of some split pics tomorrow and add them. The rounds are a real bear to split, lots of knots. Kinda stringy,

You said stringy. That points to Hickory. Only thing else that would fit that would be Elm. Inards don't look right for Elm though. Kevin

I'd say it's a type of hickory, and not shagbark (the easiest one to ID). Pignut maybe?

Looks like a Hickory to me.

Thanks to everyone who replied, I will throughly enjoy seeing this wood burn in a few years. Fought me every step of the way. The x27 almost met its match,.... almost

If still possible look for branches/ twigs from this tree. If not opposite branching habit, you can rule out ash.
The bark and dark heartwood are reminiscent of hickory. Bark looks like ('ash-like hickory' bark) mockernut hickory (Carya tomentosa).
The first and last pics from the OP seemed to show dark discolored spots in the sapwood that could be tree's reaction to borer attack, something to which hickory is susceptible.
How does it smell when split ? Hickory has a distinctive, funky smell (big distinguishing characteristic if you can recognize it).
On the splits: look for numerous fibrous strands if hickory. Not as clean as ash. In my estimation hickory splits fairly easily, unless you've got knots, then it's a bear.

Knots throughout each round about every 4-6 inches. Hardly no evidence of exterior branching on the main trunk. I’ve yet to encounter a tree so riddled with knots. I did find some evidence of borer attacks, so good call there Cincy. I tend to agree with the general consensus here that this is Hickory. Thanks for the help.